Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
flame spraying(Zinc spraying) for rustproofing?

Any thoughts on the topic using flame spraying(zinc spraying) for rustproofing?

When I was today with the shop owner in discussion about sandblasting the body and how I plan to go ahead, he was asking me why not zinc spraying.

He has between 10 and 15 oldy bodies in his shop every year and some pro mechanics let their cars zinc spraying.

So he suggested to sandblast the body, to all the necessary bodywork, another sandblasting and than zinc spraying the complete body and frontframe as well rearend. and now the paint job.

The money he asks for isn't that bad, but I never thought about this possibility.

I was more on: sandblasting, spray primer, body work, full paint job.

now i'm :confused:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Don't know the pros and cons of zinc spray but I always use epoxy primer. It gives you a good base for bondo ( if necessary ),primer and paint. Works fine

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
I may be wrong but wouldn't there be a problem with paint adhering to the zinc coating unless it is etched with an acid such as vinegar or self-etching primer?

·
6,517 Posts
My opinion is that anything sprayed or blasted against a surface only can attach or hit what is in front of the application nozzle.
When I was working on a 74 project of mine, I had parts blasted while other parts had to be immersed. Blasted or line of sight cleaning was used on parts I could see all of the surfaces while other parts like the doors, the hatchlid, the hood, and so on were immersed in cleaning solutions then neutralized and then immersed again in a metal prep solution. I then got the parts and then after any rot repair or metal working, immersed them either in an epoxy or rust preventative coating.

Jim

·
Registered
928 Posts
Any thoughts on the topic using flame spraying(zinc spraying) for rustproofing?

When I was today with the shop owner in discussion about sandblasting the body and how I plan to go ahead, he was asking me why not zinc spraying.

He has between 10 and 15 oldy bodies in his shop every year and some pro mechanics let their cars zinc spraying.

So he suggested to sandblast the body, to all the necessary bodywork, another sandblasting and than zinc spraying the complete body and frontframe as well rearend. and now the paint job.

The money he asks for isn't that bad, but I never thought about this possibility.

I was more on: sandblasting, spray primer, body work, full paint job.

now i'm :confused:
Maybe its just me but: sandblast the body, do the bodywork and then another sandblast? That makes no sense at all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts