Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the Nova out yesterday for the first time this year (I store it at my Aunt's garage). To my horror, the passenger door has been scratched somehow. :eek: (On a side note, I also had an encounter with a giant spider and injured my toe - among other things, yesterday was Murphy's Law in action).

My finger nail catches it. Up close, it looks something like this (a very complicated drawing I whipped up with MS Paint :eek:):

So, what are my options?

I'm guessing this one is too deep for anything out there like Simoniz Fix It. I'm dreading the thought of having to get the entire door repainted - mostly because the paint is a custom mixture and will be VERY difficult to match perfectly. I don't want to have a dark spot or a light spot or anything like that. The guy who did the car doesn't work at the body shop anymore, and he had the details of the mixture recorded somewhere, but I don't know what would have happened to those records - and the small bottle of touch-up paint I have is dried up (not that I think that would look even remotely passable on a spot like that anyway).

:(

I don't know what to do...very sick to my stomach.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
that is a very very nice color :yes: got a pic of the rest of the car :D..but im in the same kind of problem i have a little ding on my wheel well, paint was chipped and a dent not to big but it bothers me to look at it, my thing is that i dont know if i have to get the whole fender repainted for that littler spot and im not sure how they will fix the dent

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's pretty deep - past the clear. I'm worried about repainting it because I don't know if I would be able to match the finish. I have another idea in mind but it's going to change the look of the car somewhat. I'm going to have to think this over.

·
Registered
566 Posts
a good paint shop should be able to come pretty close to matching the color.

Apply directly to the scratch with a detail brush. Do several applications, until the scratch is completely filled.

Hit it with a buffer, and see how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
a good paint shop should be able to come pretty close to matching the color.

Apply directly to the scratch with a detail brush. Do several applications, until the scratch is completely filled.

Hit it with a buffer, and see how it turns out.
this is definitely worth a shot. what have you got to lose? a repaint, that is what you are talking about anyway.
i would get a real small artist brush, thin the paint our and carefully apply the paint making sure to stay within the scratch and only overlap a smig on the last coat. build it up. and then hand buff.
best of luck and have a couple of cold ones to steady your hand when you start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts