Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

(Have looked in forum for answer, to no avail)

Have a 3932388 block and 041 heads.
What's the max cam I can slip in there without screwing the pooch?

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
9,960 Posts
There are a lot more factors that go into choosing a cam besides the block and head casting numbers.
What exactly are you building this motor to do?

·
Registered
119 Posts
There are a lot more factors that go into choosing a cam besides the block and head casting numbers.
What exactly are you building this motor to do?
Yup, need alot more information. What is the compression ratio?
What is the gear ratio in the rear end? Are you willing to change it?
What transmission?
If automatic what stall speed?
Are you willing to run a high stall converter?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
10:1.. or somewhere around there
2.56/8.2in 10 bolt
Yes
Th350
If I have to, but prefer not to.

But all that is going toward calculating all the whizz bang go fast, and I get that.

But the question is, What cam can I max out at with the 041 heads?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Stock converter and gears are going to hold you back. Something like this is the biggest I would use.
The old Comp cams 268 High energy cam would be a good choice too.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you are wanting a big camshaft I would advise adding a converter also. Even if you are not trying to get maximum HP the converter will make it more manageable on the streets. Personally I do not run stock converters. If I pull the engine or transmission I always add a little stall to make the car more driveable and well mannered.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope Never said I wanted "Big". What I asked was what's the biggest I can go with the 041 heads.

I'm quite familiar with the requirements if wanting to go "big" and the flow on ramifications.

My other ride is a '72 cammed 383/700r4/afr heads/2800 stall and 12 bolt rear.

·
Registered
865 Posts
No real way to answer this question. It all depends on too many varibles. Stuff like deck height and head gasket thickness as well as which piston makes it impossible to know without measuring. I have over .550 lift in my flat top 383 based engine with decent piston to valve clearance. Every engine is going to be different.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nope Never said I wanted "Big". What I asked was what's the biggest I can go with the 041 heads.

I'm quite familiar with the requirements if wanting to go "big" and the flow on ramifications.

My other ride is a '72 cammed 383/700r4/afr heads/2800 stall and 12 bolt rear.
What is done to the 041 heads now? Are they stock?
Are you willing to spend money to make a bigger cam fit?
The truth is the only thing that will limit how big a cam you can run on the 041 is your wallet.
Look at NHRA superstock cars, they run well over .750 lift roller camshafts and production cylinder heads 041 and others.

Are you after a specific horsepower number?
A "big" sounding cam?
A specific Elapsed time at the drags?

Its alot easier to have a goal for the combination and build accordingly to achieve it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm running early 70's 1972 stock cast iron Gm 1.94 heads on my 350 Nova, had them all re-done, valves, springs,Seals machined re-surfaced (milled) to bump the compression up from stock 8.5 to 9:1 with flat top pistons. I wouldn't go much over .500 lift with stock heads or you'll be hitting the piston with Flat tops, let alone a dome piston and you could also break valve springs if you haven't upgraded them or shimmed them up. There is a lot of variables/measurements and it's good to have an experienced machine shop guy or mechanic to talk to. Also when you buy pistons for example and they say there 10:1, that all depends on the chamber volume cc's of the heads, like 64cc, 72cc, 76cc, that ranges anywhere from 8.5:1 up to 10:1, you have to match things up depending on what you want, street, strip or both. you also should have screw in studs when you get over .500 lift if your going to race at all. also factors with stall converter and gear ratio. I've been drag racing for over 30 years, so I've learned some things the hard way back in the day.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts