Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my hood on today. Spent several hours aligning:mad:. Here's the problem.
The rear edge of hood is even with cowl but when I latch the hood it has a bow:eek: in it where the hinges are. any ideas?:confused:
:confused:jeff:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Sounds like the hinges are rotated up. Can you loosen them and lower them at all?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I can lower the front of the hinge but then it raises the rear of the hood.:mad: I will head back to the shop after dinner and mess with it some more.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
sounds like a glass hood....gonna take a lot of effort to make it right....i had batteries on mine for months to try and mold the hood a little and sanding on the hood and adding to the fender and it still isn't perfect....

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a goodmark 2" steel hood.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Ill fit'n aftermarket hood

I just worked on my goodmark cowl hood to get it to fit. Check out the side of the hood where the spot welds are. The common problem is that the "skin" of the hood is welded in the incorrect place. It could be high in some areas and low in the other. You can use a weld drill bit and cut out the weld on one side of the sheetmetal and reweld it in the correct spot. The other solution is to place a piece of wood on top of the hood over the hing and hit it with a hammer. This will get you into problems if you don't work with sheetmetal every day and you will be getting into some body filler for sure. But it does work and all cars have body filler. I got my hood to fit better than stock and the gap is less than 1/4 inch but it took alot of work. Be patient and you will get it done.

P.S. The hinges will bottom out on the cowl long before you get the hood to fit. Another trick is to remove the springs on the hinges so you are not fighting the spring action. Goood luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts