Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit right off that I'm not very educated on the value of these cars. Although I owned a '76 Nova back in the 80's, I never followed their value much, which was my stupidity.
But I digress...I have started looking for a Nova to buy and restore. The pickings around my area have been slim to put it mildly. If I lived in Cali I'd be all set, but New York doesn't seem to have much to offer, at least in my price range.
I did find a 64 Nova with SS badges on it locally for sale though. I went and looked at it and found the car to need extensive bodywork. For whatever reason, one of the previous owners decided to add rear fender flares to the car and there is about 500 extra pounds of paint on the car to boot. It does have a 350 small block that runs great with an auto tranny.
To be quite honest, it's almost virtually impossible to tell exactly what this car needs for bodywork due to all the paint that is caked on the car. It also looks like the trunk floor was fiberglassed as well to hide rust issues back there.
The inevitable question is, "What would you guys pay for a car in this condition?" If it is a genuine SS car, which I'm not sure of at this point, I'm sure it might be worth a bit more. However, with the crude bodywork that has been done on it, I'm wondering just what this car is worth, if anything in terms of restoring it. If I did get it, I would want to bring it back closer to original and get rid of the awful fender flares and so forth.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wish I had snapped pics of this car, but I didn't have my digital camera with me. If I get a chance, I will try to swing back by and grab some pics so I can give y'all a better idea as to what I'm looking at. Also, any info to help me verify if this is a genuine SS car would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Bri

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I couldnt give you an estimated value for the car without thouroughly going over it. But by the sound of it I would stay away and look for something nicer. Unless the car was a realy good deal and had all its SS trim to use as a parts car.

For a really rusty basket case car thats complete with good trim 1 dollar to 1,000 is about right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hard to estimate value without seeing what you are seeing. A couple simple ways To help identify a first gen SS is the peak molding holes going down the top edge of the car, but at this point they may have been filled in. Another way is if the floorpan is pretty much original it will have a original shifter hump in the floor and also have original stools made for bucket seats. The steering column would not have a shifter,it would have been in the floor.

Bill

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hard to estimate value without seeing what you are seeing. A couple simple ways To help identify a first gen SS is the peak molding holes going down the top edge of the car, but at this point they may have been filled in. Another way is if the floorpan is pretty much original it will have a original shifter hump in the floor and also have original stools made for bucket seats. The steering column would not have a shifter,it would have been in the floor.

Bill
A 3 speed on the column SS would not have the hump on the floor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This car has a floor shift but no console. Buckets as well, but I'm not sure if they're original or not. I wanted to go take pics tonight, but it is pouring rain here and everything is getting flooded.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There were 10,576 64 SS's made according to nova resource. 3 speed on the tree was the standard transmission if no option was checked. You could have gotten a '64 SS with a 283 and 3 on the tree if you wanted.
Cool, I have owned many many Dueces but never seen a 64 SS 3sp on the column.
Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts