Chevy Nova Forum banner

Yellow Bullet nationals! Crash fest!

6608 Views 31 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  RED67

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Nice save by the guy in the nova in the last vid:yes:
I believe that is Jimmy Reuter. Look him up on Youtube. He has had his share of close calls with that car over the years.
:eek::eek: And I thought oval track was rough on cars!!

Hope everyone's OK!:yes:
the white camaro crash looks like all driver error.. fighting the car from the launch its pulling hard left and he isn't smart enough to get out of the gas...he is lucky he didn't hurt anyone else!!
Steve Jackson got in his own fluids and thats what caused that one, michael martin broke the wheelie bars and thats what caused that one. The track was killer and everyone had there stuff set on kill. I was there the whole weekend and raced.
Some hard hits thats for sure,track was in great shape these guys are running on the edge.It was tuff looking at all the wrecks afterwards. Can't wait for next year.

All drivers walked away.

Sexton went 4.16 @190 mph in the 1/8 that's just nuts.
The track was killer and everyone had there stuff set on kill.
Sorry to see so many crashes:eek: ... it sure looked like everybody was going for it!!! Looked like there was a major major turnout of bad as hell cars! :D
...almost like the old days of Fuel Altered's
Nice save by the guy in the nova in the last vid:yes:
Think he had disc or drum brakes?!
That's why I'm not a fan of what "small tire" racing has turned into. IMO it's just not very smart & is dangerous. The amount of horsepower they are trying to put down with some chassis that were never designed for along with a small tire is a wreck waiting to happen. It's like putting snow tires on a ProMod and seeing just how fast you can go before it is out of control into the wall or another car. Instead of the focus on actual competitor to competitor racing, all that seems to be talked about these days is "how fast this or that guy went on drag radials, 275's, etc." These days the power levels are what top fuel cars made years ago and you can do it for reasonable amounts of cost. People are bolting these engines in cars that are on the edge of control every pass and the slightest mistake or track issue results in wadding up a car. It's only getting worse but people will I'm sure continue to do it until they get tired of buying a new race car or get seriously injured. That's why I believe Outlaw type racing classes are short lived...with basically no rules, only a few that have deep pockets will race as it prices everyone else out of being competitive & soon their interest turns to something else.
See less See more
That's why I'm not a fan of what "small tire" racing has turned into. IMO it's just not very smart & is dangerous. The amount of horsepower they are trying to put down with some chassis that were never designed for along with a small tire is a wreck waiting to happen. It's like putting snow tires on a ProMod and seeing just how fast you can go before it is out of control into the wall or another car. Instead of the focus on actual competitor to competitor racing, all that seems to be talked about these days is "how fast this or that guy went on drag radials, 275's, etc." These days the power levels are what top fuel cars made years ago and you can do it for reasonable amounts of cost. People are bolting these engines in cars that are on the edge of control every pass and the slightest mistake or track issue results in wadding up a car. It's only getting worse but people will I'm sure continue to do it until they get tired of buying a new race car or get seriously injured. That's why I believe Outlaw type racing classes are short lived...with basically no rules, only a few that have deep pockets will race as it prices everyone else out of being competitive & soon their interest turns to something else.

Mike what you say makes perfect sense. "BUT"

But this is a product of drag racing and always has been.

Your ProMod is a direct result of Mountain motor grudge racing born right here in the SE in the 80's.

Affordable racing with unlimited HP will always be a product of this hobby.

And the fans will pack the house.

They are loud, fast, wheel standing & completely out of control.
And that combination will always sell tickets.

Al
See less See more
it sure Looked like there was a major major turnout of bad as hell cars! :D
Car count was 400 and the place was packed with spectators on saturday dam near a sell out.
Some people will always push the limit and crashes are part of that. Orlando spends more time cleaning up after crashes and oil downs then they do racing at that event they have every year. And the crowd goes wild!
Dang I missed this thought it was this weekend grr
No, I'm not disputing that it draws people in, they love to see cars nearly wreck every pass, that's the case in many forms of auto sport. People love to see wrecks, the more the better. It's all dangerous but to put tiny tires on your car, on purpose, knowing it's an accident waiting to happen seems to go against any common sense. We put the biggest tires we can on to maintain the best control and traction we can to maximize the safety factor, not see how much we can minimize it until it wrecks.

Also any class without some sort of rules will eventually morph itself out of existence either from an out of control safety aspect or cost. People will do things just so they can say they did it with no concern for anything else. Maybe I'm putting to much "common sense" factor into this. If I had any common sense we wouldn't be doing this but after 50+ years, I think it's too late! :D
Everybody wants to be a hero. Makes me happy we got out of it before it got too far out of control.
Wow, glad to hear everyone was ok. Those are some nasty crashes.
We were pitted on the right side just past 1/2 track, almost every crash was right in front of us. Great event, 57 cars in the 8.50 class
See less See more
57 cars in the 8.50 class
57 Cars?? :eek: Seriously? What class is that called....or is it just considered the 8.50 class racing?

BTW: Nice freaking Nova :yes:
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.