Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay! l'm in trouble... I just joined two minutes ago, I've been searching the forums and can't find what I need. Now, I just bought a 1969 nova four-door with the 307 and a powerglide tranny. The previous owner messed with the hood. Okay? The rear of the hood is raised up, as to imitate a cowl induction hood. I have tried everything and can't get it to come down! Should I put shims on the bracket?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
It seems to me the only way that could happen would be if they bent the brackets themselves, or the hood. I'm curious, when you ask if you should add shims/spacers....wouldn't that raise the rear of the hood even more, it would seem to lower it would want it closer to the hood hinge brackets. maybe I'm not clear on what is going on.

Also it seems raising the rear of the hood would simulate a front end fender bender better than cowl induction?? What was that previous owner thinking?

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
You can adjust the hood hinges by moving the front of the hinge dow and raising the rear will lower the rear part of the hood. Raising the rear of the hood was done year ago to let more air flow through the engine compartment to reduce air pressure under the hood and more air through the radiator.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Nova_Guy said:
You can adjust the hood hinges by moving the front of the hinge dow and raising the rear will lower the rear part of the hood. Raising the rear of the hood was done year ago to let more air flow through the engine compartment to reduce air pressure under the hood and more air through the radiator.
Cool...learn something everyday. That does make sense! :)

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, in response to NovaNate, l was told that a lot of people(including my dad) used to find a hillbilly way to make the cowl induction, to save money. I thought shims in the front holes of the hood bracket would even it up....

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, on the hood, 1: I already raised the front, lowered th rear
2: I put some plastic shims on the front holes last night and it worked, almost. now there is only about a 1/2 inch gap..... I would have done it, but the wind blew half the shims away

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
The 74 I just parted had the side supports cut out of the hinges. I've seen this done in the past to make the hood lift in the rear when the air pressure raises from driving and then lay mostly flat again when not driving. Now that is a hillbilly cowl hood, plus the hinges are junk now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts