Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
The only thing I can add is that it is my understanding that in 63 the "Z" to right of the ACC line means Super Sport. However Super Sport cars built in Oakland were marked "X" instead of "Z". This tag is from a Norwood car though. Kinda strange. It could have been just a mistake that they put 2 "X's" on top of and then put the "Z" to the right of the 2 "X's".

Bill

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing I can add is that it is my understanding that in 63 the "Z" to right of the ACC line means Super Sport. However Super Sport cars built in Oakland were marked "X" instead of "Z". This tag is from a Norwood car though. Kinda strange. It could have been just a mistake that they put 2 "X's" on top of and then put the "Z" to the right of the 2 "X's".

Bill

I thought it was strange as well.

·
14,129 Posts
Is there any indication the X's are covering some other stamping? In an old copy of Nova Times there was a picture of a '63 cowl tag with accessories that apparently were wrong, stamped over with X's. These tags were hand stamped at Fisher Body and mistakes were made.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any indication the X's are covering some other stamping? In an old copy of Nova Times there was a picture of a '63 cowl tag with accessories that apparently were wrong, stamped over with X's. These tags were hand stamped at Fisher Body and mistakes were made.

Bob
I dont see any indication of other stamping.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
cowl tag

Bob,correct me if wrong, 12c would be a December 3rd week build making this a '64? joetemus - was this car found locally,any history on it? Looks very interesting indeed.
john

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bob,correct me if wrong, 12c would be a December 3rd week build making this a '64? joetemus - was this car found locally,any history on it? Looks very interesting indeed.
john
Yes local, but we cannot find any info on it. They guy I bought it from found it in a junk yard and had it as a display piece in his garage. Why anyone would junk a rust free old Nova I have no idea

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
??

Bob,could this have been an export car and returned to America?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Yes local, but we cannot find any info on it. They guy I bought it from found it in a junk yard and had it as a display piece in his garage. Why anyone would junk a rust free old Nova I have no idea
Where is local??? Old race cars are so cool :yes:

·
14,129 Posts
Bob,correct me if wrong, 12c would be a December 3rd week build making this a '64?
john
12C would be a 1963 built 3rd week of December, 1962. With some exceptions, the production years usually ran from approximately early September to end of June.

I also find it interesting that this 1963 SS shows no accessories except the SS option. No 'M' for a PG, so I assume it was a 3 on the tree standard. While not unheard of, very few SS cars didn't get a few other options.... padded dashes, tinted windshields, comfort and convenience pkg., seat belts, etc. These all required some action by Fisher Body and would have been coded on the cowl tag. Does this car have signs of any of these options?

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12C would be a 1963 built 3rd week of December, 1962. With some exceptions, the production years usually ran from approximately early September to end of June.

I also find it interesting that this 1963 SS shows no accessories except the SS option. No 'M' for a PG, so I assume it was a 3 on the tree standard. While not unheard of, very few SS cars didn't get a few other options.... padded dashes, tinted windshields, comfort and convenience pkg., seat belts, etc. These all required some action by Fisher Body and would have been coded on the cowl tag. Does this car have signs of any of these options?

Bob
I attached the only picture of the interior that I have. The rest is completely stripped. I was told this was a 3 on the tree originally. All emblems have been removed and filled in more than likely for weight savings.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts

Bob
Another interesting oddity is that this SS was produced in Norwood.

Is it possible this was a custom built car for racing purposes only?

Maybe if the VIN is posted we could at least get a better picture if there is a discrepancy with the cowl tag.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Is it possible this was a custom built car for racing purposes only?

Maybe if the VIN is posted we could at least get a better picture if there is a discrepancy with the cowl tag.
I will try to get a picture of the vin plate tonight. I was told this has more than likely been a drag car its whole life. Unfortunately we don't know anything else about this car as it was found in a junk yard.

·
14,129 Posts
Bob,could this have been an export car and returned to America?
Anything is possible, but export cars were almost exclusively built in Canada. This car was built in Norwood, Ohio. My GM Canada paperwork shows just 7 LHD convertibles exported in 1963. I don't think this car is an export that came back.

Chevy IIs were built in numerous U.S. plants in 1963, except convertibles which were all built at Willow Run, Michigan. Chevy IIs, including convertibles, were also built in Canada at Oshawa, Ontario. A new member here at SNS has just posted an Oakland, California built Nova SS hardtop. Remember that in 1963, the SS package was an available option for Nova 400 hardtops and convertibles, just like radios, power steering, power brakes, etc., were options.

Yes, it's possible this hardtop was a specially built factory car, but the race guys didn't usually cough up another $161.00 for the added weight SS option. I think this was a post title build.

Lots of questions on this car.

Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anything is possible, but export cars were almost exclusively built in Canada. This car was built in Norwood, Ohio. My GM Canada paperwork shows just 7 LHD convertibles exported in 1963. I don't think this car is an export that came back.

Chevy IIs were built in numerous U.S. plants in 1963, except convertibles which were all built at Willow Run, Michigan. Chevy IIs, including convertibles, were also built in Canada at Oshawa, Ontario. A new member here at SNS has just posted an Oakland, California built Nova SS hardtop. Remember that in 1963, the SS package was an available option for Nova 400 hardtops and convertibles, just like radios, power steering, power brakes, etc., were options.

Yes, it's possible this hardtop was a specially built factory car, but the race guys didn't usually cough up another $161.00 for the added weight SS option. I think this was a post title build.

Bob
Wish I could find the original owners. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind this stuff.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Where is local??? Old race cars are so cool :yes:
Are you in the rust belt, I ask because this car may have raced in Canada.ie Cayuga,Sparta, Niagra, Georgetown, Deseronto to name a few.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Central Iowa. Have you heard of this car?!
No,I have not. Old pictures do pop up every once in a while though. With some digging I am certain you will find your answers.:yes:
Good luck in your search. And I must say what a FIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

Bob
I was under the mistaken impression that most SS cars that were built in this era were made either in Oakland or Willow Run. Either way, I've never seen a '64 SS cowl tag that looks like this.

If only the car could talk.... it certainly seems innovative.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts