Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1975 Nova that I'm looking to convert from manual steering to power steering. My problem Is that I bought a quick ratio steering box (Saginaw XH) with less steering radius than others. The internal stops are bigger than others. I'm wondering if anybody else has done this conversion and had any problem with making turns or parking etc. I know there are other boxes available that are quick ratio that would probably suit me but I'm just wondering if I'll be ok using the one I bought
Thanks for reading
Bud

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
411 Posts
I used the IROC HX box in my 78 and I have no problems at all. Just make sure you get the metric line adapters :yes:.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
As said the stops should not be an issue on a 4th gen. Some after market lower tubular arms do not have steering stops and the ones in the box will have the correct limit for your car. You will need to change the steering coupler and either change the hoses or add the flare adapters to the inlet and outlet ports.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome...great to know guys! I was reading about the conversion but the article failed to mention anything for our 4th gen Novas. I am planning to go to a local hydraulic shop and have the lines made so is it fine to just go with the O ring fittings? As for the steering coupler adapter, probably something I need to order or would I be able to find it in the salvage yard? Again guys thanks soo much for your input. I appriciate it!

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
Try the manual steering coupler, I am not home so I can not measure the one I have but it may fit.

Hoses from a 79 may be the O ring type and if the fitting in the steering pump is changed an off the shelf hose can be used.
Send me a PM tomorrow to remind me and I can check on both the hose fittings and steering coupler sizes when I get home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts