Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Hotchkis leaf springs on my '70 Nova the other weekend and after going through the whole clip nut nightmare on one side and installing new spring pockets we found the usual slight lean to the drivers side. I've been through all the threads dealing with this. I had severe rubbing on drivers side with 255/35/20 tires and 5.2" backspacing.

We tried to fab a custom shackle to even it out but it only helped a little and the shackle needed to get longer and longer. Well, I think I just found the problem - I can't verify because the car is stuck at my friend's house - but I think Lutty's Chevy sent me Camaro spring pockets and not Nova ones. Looking at their catalog I think they have it wrong.

According to my Nova Assy Instructions Manual - the GM part for the Nova should be 3923591 (LH) and 3923592 (RH).

According to this:
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83635&page=4
the part number for the Camaro ones are 3892751 and 3892752.

If you look at the two manuals the pictures show a difference in the pocket. I think I have effectively lowered my car more than intended by putting in the incorrect pockets. I will verify tomorrow when I can get to the car.

In the meantime dont make the same mistake I did.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You sure the problem isn't up front? Sagging drivers side coils are common as dirt.
If the spring pockets are aren't equal, it shouldn't be too hard to measure.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Hothkis coils - first thing I checked was that the coils were indexed correctly.

Picture of Nova pocket...

and another....

and these are Camaro ones...

Subtle difference - can you spot it?

With the Nova pockets installed you can see the head of the spring eye bolt. With the Camaro ones in there the head of the spring eye bolt is completely buried and you cant see it

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
I don't know about the 3rd gen Nova's using a differnt pocket from the first gen F-bodys' but I know the first and second gen F-body pockets are different, but they will bolt in place of each other. Maybe you got these pockets by mistake?

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I . I think I have effectively lowered my car more than intended by putting in the incorrect pockets. I will verify tomorrow when I can get to the car.
With the Nova pockets installed you can see the head of the spring eye bolt. With the Camaro ones in there the head of the spring eye bolt is completely buried and you cant see it

I don't think the Camaro pockets have anything to do with the drivers side lean but they do lower the rear suspension when used in the Nova. I have a friend in Kentucky that uses Camaro Pockets in the Novas when he builds them just for this purpose. He says it lowers it slightly and hides an unsightly bolt... He had a 72 Nova in his shop the last time I was up there and he showed me the camaro pockets installed.

Tommy :)

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
It looks like it would be pretty obvious if you had the wrong one installed; did you find the problem?

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
camaro and nova spring pockets DO NOT interchange. i have a pair of both and they are different for a fact. however if you are customizing your car or something then you can modifiy them to go in somehow. but camaro pockets are not corrrect for your nova....and may sit cocked to the side....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I was sent the wrong pockets - I didnt intentionally want Camaro pockets. They looked like what I was expecting. Even if they were labeled as Camaro I would have thought they were one and the same thing since so many parts are interchangeable. I took off the old ones and didnt line them up side by side. They went in just fine with no mods or grunting. I had no idea anyone else knew about using them to intentionally lower the car - a pretty cheap lowering method. Looking at them now its hugely obvious - see picture...

I don't think its responsible for driver's side lean either - more I was trying to trace why it was SOOOO low after the swap. It was less of a problem passenger side because the axle isnt centered - by about quarter inch but that's another story isnt it??? I can live with a little lean but I want to center the axle - its REAL close on drivers side even now that I have the original Nova leaf spring pocket in there. So who's centered their axle? I'll search...

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
you may have to check to see it the front leaf spring eye bushing is centered left to right in the pocket. if not, that would cause the rear to be off to one side more than another. i used polyurethane front spring bushings and it centers it exactly. just curious, what did you do with the original long bolts or that hold the spring pocket to the leaf spring? thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm using Hotchkis springs which have the bushing installed already - they fit pretty snug in the pocket. I got new hardware with the kit,

The passenger side long bolt survived. The drivers side was cross-threaded and took some muscle to remove.

I'm going to narrow the polyurethane spring pads and see if they allow the axle to float a little more and center it up - I only need quarter inch.

Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts