Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine many car guy's saw the "Ganggreen" Nova build on Wrecks to Riches. Why can't the Novas bring good money? That was a beautiful car, well built, big motor and all; but it is the only one of the cars he can't get his money out of at auction? I guess the Nova will never overcome the econo-box image regardless of how many "Grumpies Toys" or 427 Yenko's there are out there!

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
His LeMans/ GTO:rolleyes: didn't make any money either. I haven't finished watching the show yet what was he looking to get for it?

Jimmy

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He had $50,000 in it

It had a built 427 with blower and hilborn injection along with 4 wheel disc brakes and full custom suspension. That is where most of the money was. 63 or 64 2 door post body with roll cage. It looked like a drag car; but was street legal. All the lights grill, bumpers etc. He had $50,000 and somewhere over 100 hours work in it. The interior was pretty spartan, like a drag car and no AC.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think it depends, because last night at Barrett-Jackson auction I saw 2-4 66and 67's sell for 30-70 grand.

IMO, I just think that it is hard to make any money on a Nova when you "blow" 50 grand. (Again, JMO !!!)

-Brent "I am Cheap" Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
111 Posts
He simply took it to the wrong auction.
The Nova was the only modified car at that sale.
Wrong Market, Wrong buyers, equal NO SALE!

Just so you know, the car later sold at Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach for $75,600. Not a bad return considering he was looking for $50,000.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
It was pretty cool, but I couldn't see paying that kind of money for it. Not really my style. I think I would have to go with the L79 as well.

·
Registered
818 Posts
The car was at the wrong auction for one thing. Also, in my opinion, it would have had a better shot at selling without the lettering. The first thought I had was how much would it cost to get the lettering removed.

Most importantly, I do not think it not bringing the money had anything to do with it being a Chevy II. A 55, Chevelle or even a Mustang done the same way is a tough sell. Yes the style is very cool, some it was done very well, but it appeals to a very limited market and those who would spend $50+K for a car like that want it exactly their way.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
What I saw was HACK WORK!!!!!! I've never seen anybody paint the car first then decide on wheels, then cut and jack the fenderwells out. Then they were cutting out the trunk. Bet the buyer would feel different if he saw the show before the auction. Just looked backwards to me. It was like OCC work. Get a bigger hammer after the paint work is done. Sorry not impressed. :confused:

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not my style either

I agree with most of you that I would spend that much on a original car like a L-79 not the "drag car" image. Ganggreen certainly wouldn't have been an easy car to drive the streets with. This just seemed like an example of how easy it is to put way more money into a car than it is worth. In my case I restored a 65SS, a somewhat rare car; but even if it was an original 327 V-8 it couldn't bring but about $30,000. I found it to be a real challenge to build a high quality restoration for anyway close to that unless you happen to be an expert body and paint man and consider your own time to be worth very little. Seems to me that the Camaro, Chevelle and Corvette guys have much better luck with getting their money out of a rather ordinary car with pretty paint. Don't get me wrong, I love my Nova; but it doesn't seem like the best choice for restoration in the long run unless it is really rare like one of the Gibb cars or something like that. Guess that is just the price of the Hobby!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Too ME The value of a nostalgic drag car, would be the RACING HISTORY.
A "brand new" nostalgic race car has NO HISTORY, so to me it's only value is the sum of it's parts.

Maybe I missed something, but I dont think that car was streetable at all.

And I agree all the work that comes outa that shop is half a$$ . And there reserve price is double what the car is worth :awkward:

I would take an original SS over the chevelle they built, I would take an original GTO over that lemans they built, And I wouldnt want that Nova even at their cost .

·
Premium Member
5,493 Posts
I loved the car untill they took a sawzall to the front edge of the rear wheel openings after the paint was done and they fianlly tried mounting a tire that was too tall to fit. Cut right through were the two panels are spot welded together. I would be seriously PO'ed if I spent $75K on that car and then watched the show. All along during the build I kept thinking, when are they going to open up the wheel wells....I was thinking they were going to blow the tires off that car every time they launch it. Blown, injected 427 with stock wheel wells equals much tire smoke! Get out the sawzall boys !!!! Still, a nice car, but carving it up after painting it made me sick.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I saw that show about three days ago and I just knew it was gonna get a post on a thread somewhere on this site. When they threw those big tires on there without doing anythig to the wheel wells...I just thought...what are these guys doing, the car is already painted? Their idiots.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
62civa said:
I loved the car untill they took a sawzall to the front edge of the rear wheel openings after the paint was done and they fianlly tried mounting a tire that was too tall to fit. Cut right through were the two panels are spot welded together. I would be seriously PO'ed if I spent $75K on that car and then watched the show. All along during the build I kept thinking, when are they going to open up the wheel wells....I was thinking they were going to blow the tires off that car every time they launch it. Blown, injected 427 with stock wheel wells equals much tire smoke! Get out the sawzall boys !!!! Still, a nice car, but carving it up after painting it made me sick.

You forgot to mention the porta-power they stuck in the wheelwells to stretch things a little more. The gold leaf in the paint job seemed too "over the top" for a drag car IMO. Overall I really liked the car especially the engine.
As I recall it ran 6.10 in the 1/8th.

Here's some links for pics and details:

http://www.supermusclecar.com/cars/nova/nova.html
http://www.supermusclecar.com/cars/nova/nova_sources.html

·
Registered
879 Posts
I am digging the gangreen t-shirt they have for sale...

The went for the gasser look but failed in some important areas....the rear wheel wells should have been cut and rounded out, whats up with the grinding of the leaf springs.....they obviously needed one of our esteemed StevesNovaSite members there for reference!

·
Registered
879 Posts
jaysunal said:
I saw that show about three days ago and I just knew it was gonna get a post on a thread somewhere on this site. When they threw those big tires on there without doing anythig to the wheel wells...I just thought...what are these guys doing, the car is already painted? Their idiots.

I have to say...and I am sad to admit it...but my car was painted before I did the back half....lucky for me I had no paint damage during the welding, cutting, and grinding!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I watched that show and those tires did not look that big.
Their chose of rims looked like they did not do any thinking at all.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I have not been a fan of the SSRC (Barry's shop) DO not like his style, they ruined a good shot at a cool car. What is with the for bar front end and coil overs???? HHHHMMMM no tub or mini tub, no movement of the leaf springs NO tape measure, and so on and so on. I would not give $5 for that car. Kinda sounds like Boyd's crew built the car HUH.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts