Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm stoked!

I got this new 383 setup in the wagon last fall.

I got it to the track last year and got about 25 passes on it by season end.

Needless to say it was all October and November and the weather conditions were pretty good.

I had it out once this year about 2 weeks ago. Air temp and humidity were pretty good that day but there was a 15-20 mph headwind that killed ETs all day.

I did this build to get the car consistently into the high elevens.

Until yesterday, the best pass was a 12.06 @ 111.38.

Last weekend and this past week I removed the Heddmann 1.5" primary headers and 2.25" headpipes and summit turbo mufflers and installed Hooker Super Comp 1 5/8" 30" headers and Summit 3" headpipes and welded mufflers.

In both systems, the exhaust ended at the rear axle.

Yesterday's conditions were outstanding. Air temps were between 55 and 60 all day and humidity was between 25 and 30% all day. Finally no headwind. Track temp probably ten to twenty degrees higher.

First pass, track not prepped - blew the the tires off - 12.032 @ 114.31 with a 1.811 60' time. New low ET, I was good with that.

Second pass - blew the tires off - 11.914 @ 115.10 with a 1.776 60' time
Finally into the elevens!

Third pass - spun - 11.932 @ 114.78 with a 1.764 60 foot time
Wow, backed up the eleven second run!

Fourth pass - hooked good - 11.833 @ 114.64 with a 1.633 60' time
A full tenth improvement over my previous best!

Fifth pass - hooked great - 11.736 @ 115.10 with a 1.613 60' time
Almost another tenth off - Best 60' ever!

Sixth pass - Spun - 11.772 @ 115.39 with a 1.660 60' time
Backed up 11.7 run!

Seventh pass - Spun - 11.788 @ 115.01 with a 1.67 60' time
Time to pack her up and drive her home while she's still running!

Unfortunately, the car is now too loud to routinely drive on the street, so I need tailpipes, and maybe even different mufflers, but who would have thought I was going to pick up over 3 tenths. I'm guessing of the 3 tenths, 2 were probably due to the exhaust change and one was due to the outstanding weather.

Now for some suspension tuning!

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I cannot even feel the busted knuckles any more.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
Congrat's man! It's alway's a good day when you make your fastest pass and did'nt break anything.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Congrats on getting into the solid 11's Dan! The 4 mph gain at the top end shows are definitely making more power. :yes: I will be making the same change in my 67 very soon (Hedman 1-1/2 to Hooker 1-5/8). If I can pickup the same gain you did, I will be in the 11's also :D. Gives me extra motivation to get it done ASAP. This is great news for you, great news for me :clap:

·
Registered
360 Posts
It sure is a good feeling to make a change, and then validate it at the dragstrip. That was an amazing improvement in ET. I am sure you enjoyed the trip home. And then it is fun to share the success with the online community. Now - shoot for 11.50!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm stoked!

I got this new 383 setup in the wagon last fall.

I got it to the track last year and got about 25 passes on it by season end.

Needless to say it was all October and November and the weather conditions were pretty good.

I had it out once this year about 2 weeks ago. Air temp and humidity were pretty good that day but there was a 15-20 mph headwind that killed ETs all day.

I did this build to get the car consistently into the high elevens.

Until yesterday, the best pass was a 12.06 @ 111.38.

Last weekend and this past week I removed the Heddmann 1.5" primary headers and 2.25" headpipes and summit turbo mufflers and installed Hooker Super Comp 1 5/8" 30" headers and Summit 3" headpipes and welded mufflers.

In both systems, the exhaust ended at the rear axle.

Yesterday's conditions were outstanding. Air temps were between 55 and 60 all day and humidity was between 25 and 30% all day. Finally no headwind. Track temp probably ten to twenty degrees higher.

First pass, track not prepped - blew the the tires off - 12.032 @ 114.31 with a 1.811 60' time. New low ET, I was good with that.

Second pass - blew the tires off - 11.914 @ 115.10 with a 1.776 60' time
Finally into the elevens!

Third pass - spun - 11.932 @ 114.78 with a 1.764 60 foot time
Wow, backed up the eleven second run!

Fourth pass - hooked good - 11.833 @ 114.64 with a 1.633 60' time
A full tenth improvement over my previous best!

Fifth pass - hooked great - 11.736 @ 115.10 with a 1.613 60' time
Almost another tenth off - Best 60' ever!

Sixth pass - Spun - 11.772 @ 115.39 with a 1.660 60' time
Backed up 11.7 run!

Seventh pass - Spun - 11.788 @ 115.01 with a 1.67 60' time
Time to pack her up and drive her home while she's still running!

Unfortunately, the car is now too loud to routinely drive on the street, so I need tailpipes, and maybe even different mufflers, but who would have thought I was going to pick up over 3 tenths. I'm guessing of the 3 tenths, 2 were probably due to the exhaust change and one was due to the outstanding weather.

Now for some suspension tuning!
what rearend are you running? i have a 63 nova coupe but i want my setup as far as engione to be exactly the same, what type of engine do you have as far as manufacture or did u rebuild one?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
awesome! the exhaust is making a difference. What I've done in the past is have some 2 1/2" tailpipes made that unbolt of slip off the mufflers so around town run the full exhaust and when your going to the track slip off the tailpipes. Hell even make a couple passes with the tailpipes see what it does. It may hurt performance, it may not.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Congratulations, those are some great improvements and really good numbers. Get that 60ft consistent and you'll be deadly.

FYI, when I first put my 3 inch exhaust on it didn't have the tailpipes and was unbearable inside the car. I had the tailpipes but there was no way I could get them to fit. So I took them to a muffler shop and they did a great job of custom fitting them and it made a huge difference in sound quality and much more bearable inside the car.

I'm glad the changes worked out, I've been curious to see how it went.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Now - shoot for 11.50!
Then 11.00, then 10.50, and then and then and then.

It never ends. The wallet does though, and I'm sure we all know how that goes.

Congrats on getting into the 11's. I know exactly how that feels. You had to feel like a million bucks when you got your timeslip, and most likely felt like a little kid on christmas between triggering the top end lights and actually receiving your small strip of paper.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From your comments, you all have had that same good day at the track.

If the weather holds up, maybe actually get to race a little next weekend instead of TNT!

Gotta try and zero back in on that reaction time.

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nova-kid63,
It is just a garden variety 383 with a comp XE288HR cam, ghetto ported vortec heads with 2.02 valves installed, RPM airgap intake, Holley 650DP carb, Hooker super comps, Summit 3" exhaust with their welded mufflers, 3.73 gears, slapper bars, 3,000 stall lockup converter, 2004R overdrive auto.

·
Registered
271 Posts
nova-kid63,
It is just a garden variety 383 with a comp XE288HR cam, ghetto ported vortec heads with 2.02 valves installed, RPM airgap intake, Holley 650DP carb, Hooker super comps, Summit 3" exhaust with their welded mufflers, 3.73 gears, slapper bars, 3,000 stall lockup converter, 2004R overdrive auto.
that sounds like a cool setup how much did it cost you? what is the horsepower on it?

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Best with the 355 was a 12.570 @ 109.79 last spring.
also good air. That was a 1.859 60 foot time which it probably only ever did that one time.
Also old restrictive exhaust.

No changes to the suspension since that time.

So even if we say I got the .249 improvement in the 60 foot from the new converter, double it and say I got .498 improvement in the quarter from the converter, that leaves the other .336 improvement from the engine???

Who knows?

If I understand this right, the engineering formulas suggest to make a 3,300# vehicle go 115 mph in the quarter, it would take 400-420 wheel HP. If I assume 15% drivetrain loss, that would suggest 460-480 FHP.

Sound reasonable?

All I know is that after shifting into 3rd gear and hitting the switch to lock the TC, it takes about 100 feet or so for the converter to lock and this thing pulls like a freight train!

I've never driven anything that continues to accelerate like that after the 1/8th mile.
Of course I've never driven anything quicker than this so that explains my previous statement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts