Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOT sticking major problem!!!!!!!!!

i was driving my car tonite and was coming home and the throttle stuck wide open, i was wandering if anyone else has had this problem and can give me some help on trying to find the problem.

thanks in advance,
chris

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Had that happen to me with my old 442. Turned out to be a weak spring that wasn't strong enough to pull the throttle back. Scared the crap out of me.:eek: I was on the 101 in LA at about 7 at night.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
If the carb linkage is not binding I would check the tension of the throttle return spring. I have 2 springs on mine, one smaller diameter inside a larger one and it's quite tight. I like a heavy pedal feel. Maybe that will be a starting point.

·
Registered
334 Posts
as has already been mentioned check the throttle linkage for binding, and the spring tension.....

If you have a throttle cable from the pedal to the carb linkage, check to see if it has any bends or kinks in it. If the plastic casing has a sharp bend in it it can make the internal cable bind.
I've experienced the WOT from a binding cable... not fun when you're not expecting/ prepared for it

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
I think you guys many be looking to deep. Ive had the floor mat wedge the pedal WOT

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Nwayne said:
Had that happen to me with my old 442. Turned out to be a weak spring that wasn't strong enough to pull the throttle back. Scared the crap out of me.:eek: I was on the 101 in LA at about 7 at night.
Had the almost the same happen on a 86 442. My spring broke tho. Luckily I was on a back road. I got a fix it ticket from a hidden cop. Sucked for me.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Yeah, check the carpet, but also check your linkage to see if it went over center and dropped down preventing it from returning. Not a good feeling. Dave

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
That is the reason I run a double return spring on my car. I'd rather have a stiffer throttle than one stuck WFO!!!

Randy (and filled shorts!!):eek:

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
My little 230 in my 68 used to hang wide open when pressed into action. The combo of the engine torque and weak throttle return spring scared the crap out of me the first time it happened. Didn't take long before I put a beafier spring on it.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
sixtyII said:
Had the almost the same happen on a 86 442. My spring broke tho. Luckily I was on a back road. I got a fix it ticket from a hidden cop. Sucked for me.
That does suck.
Mine was a 69. Sold it like a dumba$$ about 4 years ago. Anyway, glad it came back before I nailed someone.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
1975ssnova said:
If it is a linkage and not a cable check for a broken motor mount. NOTE : This can be deadly!!!!
Many years ago while in high school, I had that happen to me on my '69 SS. Going around the corner I punched it only to have the pedal disappear under my floor, the car starts hauling a$$, the accelerator pedal and shifter linkage were unmovable. Real problem was there was some kids crossing the street 1/2 a block down who just froze when this Nova came around the corner lighting up the tires and charging towards them. Turned the ignition off and cleaned out my shorts. Both motor mounts were broken.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Take a look at this throttle cable off mine.

This is the part that goes from your firewall to the pedal.
Was in 1st gear std trans full throttle when it stuck, 540TQ on my SB.
Bounced off the rev limiter 6,600 till I could reach for the key.
I just hit the brakes as hard as I could as I reached for the key.
By the time I came to a complete stop, there were skid marks from the front tires, and massive black from the rear.
My wife said, why did you do that??? My heart was pounding in my neck, needless to say, I didn't answer her for a while.
I replaced my cable front to back with a Lokar, double spring of cource.

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
I would check the Motor mounts too. I had A 65 C-10 that stuck wot one time. When the motor raised up off the frame it pulled the throttle open and then stuck that way. Very scary, only thing I could do was hit the switch. When I did it sounded like A thousand lbs fell on back onto the frame of that truck, I imagine the engine had raised several inched above the frame.:eek:

Tommy:)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
The throttle plates can also hit the gasket and stick if you have recently pulled the carb off and it isn't lined up quit right. To check for a broken motor mount have some one sit in the car, put it in gear with the brakes on hard. Watch the engine from off to the side, when they give the car gas the engine will raise up.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
What you guys described with the broken motoer mounts is why GM had that retrofit kit in '66-69 to be installed on the small block Camaros and Novas. It is the cable linkup that attaches to the exhaust manifold bolts and then to the front suspension mounting Point. they had a lot of people breaking engine mounts back then and rather than replace all the engine mounts, then installed the cheap kit as part of the recall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have had a 73 Firebird and a 76 ElCamino both do that and it turned out to be the throttle cable and there was no bends in the cable housing just cable start to frey and would bind up in the housing. Guess it was just fatigue on the cable. That was my experience and yes it does scare you bad enough to change your shorts sometimes when not expecting it.

Howard :chev:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts