Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm new to this car restoration stuff; but I picked out one of my dream cars to learn with as I build it.

Hope it's not in too bad of condition.
I personally don't think so.. but I've had a lot of friends tell me it would be a waste of time as I would run into tons of problems.

All the green spots on the side of the body is Algae believe it or not. lol

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/94/l_cf0703e4016d461993d796bf5f80d49b.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/74/l_f42d401b8db94fd6b88f5c271c5cfc23.jpg

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/111/l_010a67a2d6db43dc95f185303481e46d.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/95/l_5a542d5385b84cf9a20cfe5774075e8c.jpg

Comment away.
The rust doesn't look that bad overall.
It's almost completely void of interior.

The Steering wheel, column, dash.. etc. are all there.
No Carpet or seats.
Inside door panels are present. : ) Great shape too.

Have original engine and tranny, but am putting in 350 and 700r4 from my Grandpa's wrecked 1987 Monte Carlo.

I only paid $1200 for it.
I wish I could keep it painted how it is, but I was told it needs to be stripped.
The stripe is decal.. not painted. I don't know where to buy a new one?

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Its definitely worth it to me. I have one in worst shape that I am tackling. Good luck and enjoy your project.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Looks like the rear taillight panel and quarters are in good shape, which is an excellent start for a 73-74. Not a bad purchase IMO. Just need to find a replacement 8.5 (or better) rear and fill in or replace the hood.

How are the floors, rockers, door bottoms and fender bottoms?

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
my 73 had 4 rusted floor pans (all the way through), rusted quarters on both sides and rusted tail light panel. All which are pains in the asses to fix but the floor pans and tail light panel are done...all thats left is quarters. Looks like from those pics you got a pretty solid car there...hoods are easy to come by, infact this might be a good reason to get a fiberglass hood with 2inch scoop :yes:;)

**EDIT** yikes , didnt see the link in between the photos. The fact that your trunk pan is missing is going to be a real challenge and then all the rust spots poking through the paint. If rust is coming through the paint then chances are there's a lot more of it under the paint and behind those panels. I'd say you got your work cut out for you. Hopefully, you wont get discouraged and can see it through because the reward at the end is well worth the journey to get there. I hate to see Nova's goto the scrap yard so good luck and post questions when you have them.

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
The body itself doesn't look too bad- trunklid and hood will need replaced and you'll need to fab the floor where it was tubbed.

Racing buckets available, and the carpet can be bought.
The door panels are had to come by, and worth their weight in gold.You didn't say if the headliner was there. Avaliable but nice if its still there. $$.
Nice grillwork and bumpers- always a plus.

You got an engine and trans with it- just need an 8.5 rear end to make it a roller- not bad for 1200.00.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the helpful comments.

The headliner isn't there.
I was going to redo it in Black/White Vinyl. Any suggestions on that?

Also does anyone know of a few newer cars I can rip some interior out of that will fit?
I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have trouble fitting in most front seats.. it's the back that's my main concern; but either way I would have to make all of it match up nicely.

I pretty much just got free-range of a local junkyard.
So, I guess I'm good in the parts department. (mostly)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
IMO the only draw back will be how cheap and easily you can find parts, other then that, you should find plenty of helpful knowledge here!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I pretty much just got free-range of a local junkyard.
So, I guess I'm good in the parts department. (mostly)
Lucky YOU!!! I love the wrecking yards. Specially the ones that are used to seeing you around and say go for it. I lived across the street from one when I was doing my 62. Snatched some seats, fuel filler door, brake MC and booster, steering column and other odds and ends. I tended to steer away from cars that were in a major wreck for the critical parts like steering and brakes. Just bad carma already with those :) Superstitious LOL

For the back seat prolly just best to measure what space you have and take those numbers with you and a tape and check them all out. If the cloth is shot not a big deal, can always recover them. The frame work is the part you want. And you can always make a new platform for the seat to sit on.

Such fun really, I love digging through the wreckin yard. And its all about vision. What looks shabby may still have alot of potential. Have fun!!! JR

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
It shouldn't be too hard getting parts. People are pratically giving away the hoods, the head liner is unique to 74s, but it is available. Are the floors and trunk as good as the quarter panels? It looks like a pretty solid car..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The floor is fine.
The trunk floor is absent.

Going to start working on this towards the end of next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It dont matter what other people thank it is your car .I was told by a freind that this one will show how good you are and that just made me work harder to make it nice.

·
Registered
675 Posts
My 63 was pretty bad when I got it. A lot worse than this car. Major rot in the rear section. It's still there waiting for me to work on it.

I would say it's a decent car to start with.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Like many have said if you like it do it. I boughbt my 63 just out of high school in 93 ish and all of my friends were into the cameros and chevelles. They couldnt stand Novas but I loved em. They have all changed their tune now. If that car is you then build away anything can be fixed (Im fixing alot of my old fixes now).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your looking for a factory rear seat,I have one.
PM me with a price. I may be interested.

Don't laugh. :p
I'm going to do something I haven't seen done before with a Nova.

Wood Trunk Floor.
Woodgrain steering wheel. Where the floor mats go - will be wooden sections.

(I've got this all drawn out)

Anyone know how to make regular wood look like driftwood?

Exterior: Blue/White
Interior: ?

Grille..
___N_______
____O______
_____V_____
______A____ Well, you know what I mean. lol

My cousin works in a welding shop.
Hopefully it comes out as nice as I imagine it to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts