Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I little while back there was a thread posted by someone who was asking if his car was worth saving. Apparently it needed a bunch of sheet metal and he was asking if it would just be better to find another car.

I believe most of us answered that any car was worth saving and these cars are getting fewer and we need to save as many as we can.

Well I just got this car this week, let's see if you guys still agree that any car is worth saving.

It is a 68 that's been sitting in a field for 20 years. I was looking to swap a 68 dash into my 69 and found this car. The only thing any good was the dash, bumpers and grille.

It's about a week away from being dirt!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I think you should save it. Cut off all the bad metal and go from there see how bad it is underneath the bad metal if its not to bad but aftermarket sheet metal and start hanging it. Just my opinon

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Let me put it this way... The radio was rotted on this car. I went to pull the carpet up to check the floors, you can't tell the difference between what used to be floor and the 20 years of acorns, crab apples and rodent s**t. there is literally 8" of dirt on the floor and in the trunk. I am afraid to stand too close to the car in case it falls apart and crushes my feet. The front fenders are beginning to buckle because the frame is rotted so bad. There is about a foot of one frame rail gone, no trace of it at all. Even the air cleaner is rotted. The rear window was not actually removed from the car, it fell into the back seat.

If I cut off all the bad sheet metal all I'll have is a cowl tag, oh and that thing that bolts to the top of the core support and hold the radiator in is pretty good.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am actually swapping the whole dash into my 69, that is why I bought got the car. It is turning out to be a much bigger project that I imagined. I will be covering that swap in a later thread.

The 68 is alot different than the later cars especially under the dash, the bracinig is all different.

·
Registered
583 Posts
if its that bad I hate to say it but part it out:yes::(:yes::devil::(

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wait!!!:eek: don't trash it! ummm I could really use a few parts off that nova if you don't do the dash swap.

But yeah that nova is too far gone:(..... unless you want to pick up a fiberglass body and build a tube frame.....

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Everything has a time to live and a time to die.

I think you know your 68 is DEAD; grab the few parts you need and crush the rest.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
That's nothing a fresh coat of piaint can't fix!:rolleyes::eek::turn:

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
That thin side moulding is very hard to come by for a 2 door.

(I'm trying to think positive here)

I still see a lot of good parts mixed in those mouse turds and moss.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts