Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 66 sedan a few months back. I’m trying to work the bugs out and the site really has helped.

The car came out of Longview Tx. It has a early LS1 or parts from one. The previous owner didn’t have any info on the motor other than a ls1. It definitely has a cam and that’s about all I know. 4l60 trans and a ten bolt 3.55 gears.

Since I bought it I’ve added Ac and Dakota gauges since all I had was temp and oil pressure. It seems to be on the rich side and gets about 6mpg. That could be my right foot. My concern is the transmission setup. It shifts fast through the gears under half throttle or less. The wide open throttle shift points seem right. It had a 205/60/15 all the way around, I swapped the rears out to a 245/65/15 and it seems to have helped out. It seems to take a while to downshift not like it’s slipping but delayed.
Another issue is I can drive around town with the ac on and it never gets past 200. Get up to 55 and the temp will rise up to 220 with the ac on or off. It has a large electric fan than cycles on and off and keeps temps around 190.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
I would suggest getting a good tuner to check it out. Plenty of them in the Katy-Houston area.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I second the tune issue. Does the car have an operating "check engine/ malfunction indicator" light with the Dakota gauges? Might have an issue with a speed sensor, mass airflow sensor, etc.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
something is definitely off with that fuel mileage... do not drive it anymore unless it is straight to a tuner or a friend with HP Tuners and data logging capability... I would pay particular attention to the short and long term fuel trims as it seems like you are dumping fuel. Check your dipstick for a fuel mix with the oil

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it’ll ever stop raining and I get a day off I’m going to take it down to a local shop.

There’s thing I want to change on the air intake side but that will have to wait. I’m not sure on the check engine light, that’s something I’m going to look into. I believe I hooked it up. The oils fine just changed there wasn’t any fuel in the old.

·
Registered
281 Posts
You can get a decent OBD scanner for under $50. It will tell you the codes thrown. It really helps to isolate problems.

·
Registered
469 Posts
You can get a decent OBD scanner for under $50. It will tell you the codes thrown. It really helps to isolate problems.
I picked up a Bluetooth scanner from Amazon for less than 20 bucks that communicates to your phone. You can also use it driving to monitor the engine.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hp tuners has been a good investment... It has already paid for itself allowing me to diagnose or do small adjustments to family members vehicles

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I pulled the plugs today. They seem to look like it’s not running rich. I still need to get the trans looked at but it’s a start.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So turns out my radiator cap was only good for six pounds of pressure. I put a 16 on and the highway temps are steady at 180-190.

Now I’m trying to figure out my transmission woes. It will shift firmly as long as you shift it manually. If you leave it in drive or overdrive it shifts sluggish. Kinda like it’s lost or doesn’t know when to shift. Coming to a stop the torque converter doesn’t unlock till you either throttle it up or get almost stopped.

The trans is a 2001 the computer is from a 2000 Camaro. There is no gear indicator on the trans. Not sure if that’s a problem or not. I’m debating on getting hp tuners or taking to a shop to see about figuring it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If your car has an OBD2 port take it to a performance shop that has a tuner. They can dial in you engine, and transmission shift points and firmness. Trying to learn how to tune it yourself is a big learning curve.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I ended up buying the HP Tuner. I wish I’d done this months ago. I copied the original tune and then compared the trans tune to a stock unit and a modified one. I uploaded the adjusted file and it drove like a completely different car.
I have adjusted the tire size to get the speedo to read the same a my gps. I also adjusted the temps the fan kicks on and off.

I could’ve spent the money to take it somewhere and get it done but I may or may not been happy with it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great to hear that you were able to fix the trans shift problems. Now the fun part, fine tuning the fuel and timing tables. As you know you can always reload your previous settings.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts