Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the input manifold seal last weekend. What a cool feeling. I know most of you are way more skilled, but that is the most intensive job I have ever completed on a car. It was pretty cool to find top dead center and retime the car. Anyhow, I replaced the stock seals for about 10 bucks with 3 hours of labor. No more oil leaking from the intake. I still have a leak from what I believe is the rear seal, but here I am just talking s#it.

The question I have is somewhat sad. I have a 400 small block in the 63 that appears to be pretty stock. I recently got stomped by a pontiac grand pre off the line and need to change that senerio. The 63 has a 2 barrel carb and the 283 air cleaner. I would like to generate some more power. I am thinking of adding a new intake and a 4 barrel carb along with a better airflow system. What kind of gains can I expect? I am thinking 100 for the intake, 350 for the carb and 50 for the air cleaner - so ~500 bucks.

I drive this car everyday to work when rain is not forcasted. I've only had the top up once and prefer it down. I am not looking for a racer, rather a sleeper.

nebraska rod (muscle car convert)

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Rod,

For the most bang for your buck I would say save your money(and your pride) for now and when your ready buy a cam, heads, intake and carb. Do this all at the same time so you only have to do it once. Options to this include long tube headers and K & N air filter. With this type of setup i would say that you can add an easy 200 horse. Not bad eh!
I know you just want to spend around $500 but with the setup your talking about all your doing is pouring more gas down into the engine. If you want substantial performance gains(to stomp that pesky grand prix!) heads will do the most for you since you will make your engine breathe better and be able to deliver gas and push out exhaust much more efficiently.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Do you have any info on the engine? For $500 you could probably get some Vortec heads. Depending on the internals, that'd probably make quite a bit of difference, and they'd be perfect since you don't want a racer so they're not all-out race heads. :)

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts