Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much debate on what I was going to run for a motor...I finally made a decision. I am officially part of the LS group. I ended up going with one of the L92's that Frank at www.gpsuperstore.com had. For those of you that don't know what the L92 is, here's what Pace Performance has about it:

Standard equipment on the 2008 Cadillac Escalade and GMC Yukon Denali, the L92 has brought Corvette technology into the truck market. The L92 engine brings you the same 403HP @5700 RPM effort from a 6.2L Vortec V-8 small block that borrows from all of the features that have made our LS family of engines world renowned for thier efficiency, design and performance. Now the L92 is available to you as a crate engine from GM Performance Parts. The 6.2L L92 engine features an all aluminum design: deep skirt 6 bolt main LS block, variarble valve timing, coil on plug design, high-flow L92 heads designed with influences from the LS7 Corvette head, true 4-into-1 exhaust manifolds, hig volume intake plenum, beehive valve springs, cast aluminum rockers on needle bearings, and a large volume throttle body.

Here's also a good thread about it on www.ls1tech.com http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/499059-ls3-l92-info.html

This engine is 403hp and 417tq stock. The displacement is 378cu in. It is basically a truck version of the LS3. If I was to take out the VVT cam and put in a LS3 cam, they would be almost the same (from what I understand).

Here are my plans for the motor:
- Get rid of the truck intake and put on a car intake, either the corvette one or the new FAST 102mm intake
- Cam, springs, water pump and 3 bolt timing gear upgrade. Will likely go with a comp cam: 231 / 239 at .050, and 616 / 623 lift
- Vintage Air Frontrunner or Billet Specialties serpentine kit
- I plan on keeping the VVT technology. Right now Mast Motorsports is the only one that is producing an aftermarket computer to run this set up. I will likely go this route unless by the time I need it, there are more on the market
- Speed Tech/Stainless Works polished stainless long tube headers http://www.speedtech-performance.co...egory_id=230/home_id=230/mode=prod/prd183.htm
- Autokraft oil pan and motor mounts
- polished valve covers with some type of coil relocation set up

With the cam upgrade, I've been told I should be at around 525hp. I'm hoping with the intake and headers upgrade, I will be closer to 550hp when I'm all done.

Anyways, enough yapping and onto the pics:

I already bought the Autokraft oil pan and motor mounts. For some reason though the motor mounts were in the package. Need to make a phone call this morning. Amazing work though on this oil pan.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the one unfortunate thing about the Mast stuff is it's not that cheap. A performance package from them which includes one of their cams, springs and the computer is $2600. The harness and computer without cam and springs is about $1700. That's the one downfall to using the variable valve timing motor is there are no options out there. I know one guy who is trying to get a GM to work, so hopefully that works out. On the other hand though, the Mast stuff is supposed to be really easy to hook up. I was talking to one of their techs and he said once all the sensors are hooked up, you have 3 more wires to hook up and it can be started.

Here's a link to the Mast kit: http://www.mastmotorsports.com/page...ction&Section=M-90 Performance Packages&id=70

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
The LS7 clutch is ok but if your going to race the car I would not use the LS7 clutch. Make sure to do the drill mod also or you may face the dreaded high rpm clutch pedal stuck to the floor syndrome (better yet use one of the much improved aftermarket masters). I have the LS7 clutch setup behind my stock LS1 in my 99 SS Camaro. The factory clutch was junk. The LS7 clutch works fine so far but I dont race the car.

Honestly I would suggest one of these clutches. They seem to get good reviews on LS1 tech. Stay far away from Spec clutches.

http://www.monsterclutch.com/gm.html

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't plan on racing my car. I'm not sure what make of clutch I am going to get. Frank at www.gpsuperstore.com was telling me about one that I believe he uses in project Empty Nest, which does get raced. I will be using a Wilwood master and I think it was a McLeod LS7 style clutch which is rated for 600hp or somewhere around there. I know Frank was saying he loves it so I will likely end up going with that one.

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Does anyone know what style of coils are on this engine? I want to get a coil relocation kit and the one I want works with LS2 and LS7 style coils but I have no clue what those look like. Thanks.
Save your money, you can fab some up, just stack the coils side by side, get some allthread and spacers, and put them where you want. The kits you buy are highly overpriced, and not worth the money for what you get, some CNC'd slick billet pieces is about all they are... IMO......I've seen your fab skills, I know you can handle it......:D

T,

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought about making my own. I want to put them on the subframe so you won't even see the wires as they will be under the headers. The only ones I have seen were CNC'd and ATS wanted $350 for a set. I think I might make some. One more question though....is there a performance difference between the different styles? Is it worth it to get the MSD ones if I'm going to be at 530 - 550hp or will the stock truck ones do the job? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,572 Posts
Stock should be fine. If you are spraying and need the variable spark or timing changes, maybe worth it...but those dang things are over 700 a set.....:eek:

I think a lot of these guys think just because it's an LS, they can charge an arm and a leg. Most performnace parts, or trick goodies are up there.....

I would run the stock ones and see how it works, if you need them later, maybe then. From all I have read the stock ones are good, and rarely fail....

T,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts