Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I went to start my 76 nova this morning, and all I got was a small turn then a click. The battery was old so I figured the battery was just shot from the cold winter we had. I bought a new battery, threw it in and I got the same thing. It has a Mallory ignition coil, and the motor is a 350. Couple of things I noticed were my radio turned on the first time but quickly died and now it doesnt turn on at all...head lights are pretty dim, and the windshield wipers move slower than normal. This all points to a discharged battery but its brand new. I checked all the wiring and all is still intact. The car ran great, but there were a few weeks of really really cold weather. Im stumped and need help :confused:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm getting the battery checked tomorrow morning. Has anyone ever received a dead battery off the shelf before? Would be a first for me lol. Another thing too....I am able to jump start it...I jumped with the old battery though and haven't tried it with the new one. With the old battery in there after jumping it, it still wouldn't start again once I shut the car off...which is why I thought it was the battery. Guess I will get everything tested tomorrow :)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
is this a running vehicle that you just went out ta start and it was dead ??? or has it been in storage over the winter and yer just starting it up again ???

Welcome to the Site :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has been in storage over the winter. Ran great before winter. Now that winter is over I cannot get it to start =\

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
check the condition of yer cables. and sure... get battery tested, it is normally a free service ;)

the heads were cleaned upon the connection of new battery ???

if ya just connected the battery, check cleanliness of battery connection and check cable tightness. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup I cleaned the terminals, and the cables....It will start to turn, then just click. Just seems like a dead battery. I will get that checked tomorrow.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
have ya got a charger ??? or maybe a jump ???

if it is a low battery ???

go mug a lil' ol Lady and ask her if ya can get a jump out of her ;) :eek: :eek: :eek:

prolly make her evening :D :D :D

HA !!!

i wish ya well... get the battery tested and check back with us and tell us what's up ;)
post some shots of yer ride too ;) we dig pics ;)

John :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol the lil ol' lady would probally kick the u know what outa me lol....anyways....I haven't tried jumping it with the new battery. I was able to jump it with the old battery this morning. If I am able to jump it, what exactly does that rule out? Does it mean the battery is just faulty?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
just fer giggles, i'd say go throw in yer old battery and double check cable cleanliness and tightness etc... give 'er a jump and see if that's it.

might be just a low battery... maybe the battery ya got is low too. ya never know, it happens... right ??? if you were able ta jump it, didn't run long enough ta charge it... then it might still be low.

first thing ya have ta check if it won't start is the battery, right ??? and that's where the trouble seems to be starting at... so i'd say... confirm charge of battery and all connections

then we'd procede to step 2 (starter, solenoid, switch etc) sounds like yer situation may be located in the battery... lets check that first ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys I think I got her fixed. I jumped it this morning and started up. The only thing I noticed, is that while the car was running, my multimeter was showing 9.74v from the battery. I did this when I first started the car though. I drove it around for a bit and checked it again and it showed the same thing. I shut the car off and the battery was putting out 12.76v. So the altenator must be working since before I even tried to jump the car the battery was showing low 9 volts. Guess I will check the alternator just to be sure. Thanks for your help guys. This is a great forum.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
great ta hear ya got it running ;)

let'r run a bit and see how it looks... maybe just fer doin' it, they can run a load test on yer system at one of the chain type parts houses... i hear that's a free service, why not take advantage of it ;)

get that baby back to the dependability stage so ya can get us a nice Burn Out shot ;)

and once again, Welcome to the Site :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well guess what! It was the alternator. Went back out to go for a cruise and she wouldnt start again. Put a new alternator in there, jumped her, and now im getting the 13+ volts while she is running. In the mix off all this, I was in such a hurry I forgot to disconnect the battery and got a good little shock from the alternator wires, and when breaking the bolts lose took the tip of my thumb off! Talk about putting blood and sweat into the things you love lol. Time to go back out and make sure she will start up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that was it...It was the alternator...Runs great now. Had a nice 2 hour drive, and a street full of smoke that smelled like burned rubber...Go figure :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts