Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i finally got the engine and msd re-wired. It was also 180 degrees off. But besides that it runs perfectly. BUT WONT SHUT OFF!!!! The ignition wire from the msd is on the same ignition wire the fuel pump is on.

What wire has everyone else wired their ignition wire to? What color is it?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, where would i find one at? I am on my way to work right now. I will start it up this evening and try it.

Thanks for the fast reply. Question though, Why would my alternator keep it running?

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
It sounds like you might have some alternator feedback that is exciting the ingition through the alternator's charge circuit. There are shutdown relay kits available calibrated to your alternator output. There is also a fix by wiring a light(s) (such as dash warning lights or dummy lights, etc.) in the alternator's charge circuit - this is what you often see in late model cars when you shut off your ignition the warning light(s) come on. Good luck.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A quick fix is to remove the alternator light on your dash. There should have been a small resitor in the MSD stuff you need to put it on one of the alterantor wires to stop the feed back.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My MSD is old. I have used it on the same engine with two different cars. I do not have the resister. Is this something i can get at an auto parts store? Or radio shack? Or call MSD and order one?

There must have been one on the other car i had this msd wired to. I ran all new wiring for this car so it would make sense that i dont have the in line resister because it is in the other nova. Great. haha, cars are crazy, just when you think there wont be any problems.... :rolleyes:

Well im off to try and re-wire the tail-lights and front lights. Waiting to see what i can do to fix this problem.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the resistor at a local auto parts store.

I just need to find out where to put it now???

Thanks everyone for the help!!!

Now i just need to know where to put it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so i got to the parts store and the guy at the counter told me that i shouldn't need a resister on my setup that i am running. So i went home and started playing with the wires on my alternator, Pulled the ignition wire off. Car stoped with key, But then according to my multi meter the alternator wouldn't charge the battery and i could see the battery slowly loosing voltage, so i swapped the two wires around on the terminals. And just like that the problem was solved, voltage increased and can turns off. Although i was looking at a diagram of the alternator wiring and it tells me that it should be the opposite???? Must be wiring for a different alternator.

Thanks for the help you all. :yes:

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Diode as referred to not a resistor. A diode only allows current flow in one direction so it needs to be placed in the right direction in the wiring circuit. Refer to the MSD instructions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts