Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 73 Nova that we just bought. My son removed an aftermarket sterio and now the car wont start. I traced a unhooked wire that goes to the coil that also had a wire that was conected to the sterio. I think when he removed the sterio he pulled the wire out. There is a factory 3 prong plug (not pluged to anything) that 1 prong has power when i turn the key to on but when we turn it all the way to engage the starter this wire no longer has power. There really wasnt any other loose wires that appears the coil wire could of been pluged into. Any suggestions!!!

I ran a wire from the battery to the coil and it starts right up

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Check the neutral switch on the steering column under the dash.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm Back

Check the neutral switch on the steering column under the dash.
I checked the wires are all hooked up to the neutral switch, thought i would go buy a new one. But the car turns over just wont start. I thought that the neutral switch would stop if from cranking over ???
Thanks for yout time!!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
With the key in the on position? (not crank) does it have power?

While "cranking" the wire from the key will not have power.

While cranking the power comes from the starter bypass wire.
A wire running from the starter to the coil. While cranking this supplies 12 volt direct power to the coil.

This color wire is not a factory harness. The factory color wire, (IF i remember correctly) is yellow.

Al

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, with the key on (non crank) it does have power.
Looking at the starter i have two wires connected to the big center post and 1 wire to the smaller secondary post. On the coil positive side i have two wires, one is the wire that was unhooked under the dash and the other goes to the distributor, nothing going to the starter. There are two wires on the negative side of the coil one goes to the distributor and the other back under the dash possibly to the key?

Looks like maybe the previous owner had power running somehow thru the sterio or something? Looks like if i run a wire like you mention from the starter bypass to the + side of the coil, i should be up and running

Thanks again for taking the time to repond!!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Yes, with the key on (non crank) it does have power.
Looking at the starter i have two wires connected to the big center post and 1 wire to the smaller secondary post. On the coil positive side i have two wires, one is the wire that was unhooked under the dash and the other goes to the distributor, nothing going to the starter. There are two wires on the negative side of the coil one goes to the distributor and the other back under the dash possibly to the key?

Looks like maybe the previous owner had power running somehow thru the sterio or something? Looks like if i run a wire like you mention from the starter bypass to the + side of the coil, i should be up and running

Thanks again for taking the time to repond!!
The negative side of the coil should only have one wire going to the dist.

the second wire may be the problem.

Al

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
If you have points, the missiing wire from the starter to the positive side of your coil is an issue. If you have HEI, you will not have that wire.

Your tach will be wired to the negative side of the coil.

The three prong plug under the dash is probably for the original radio. The yellow wire is acc hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts