Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer went out on me last year, just stopped working. I am ready to put my new engine together and I figured while i have this stuff torn apart i could trace some wires to see if the speedometer cable is ate away or something. I was wondering if anyone here knew where the cables from the speedometer run to? The odometer is in the same gauge and doesnt work either :(
any advice?
sorry for the lack of info and enthusiam... rough day and im ready for bed!!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
The speedometer cable runs from the back of the gauge to the transmission. As the speedometer turns, it also turns the odometer so if the speedo doesn't turn, then the odometer won't work either.

I think they are relatively cheap and available to replace.

·
Registered
203 Posts
If you pull out the speedo cable and its not broke and the ends are ok, you might check the gear in the trans. If you want to pull out the cable to check it just get underneath the car and at the end of the tranny you will see a small square like box with a cable going into it, just unscrew it and pull it out. you should see the speedo cable inside this. first thing I would do is spin the cable and see if the speedo jumps around. if it does then the cable and speedo are fine.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^ Very good information RRoberts, I'll probably pull that little box and spin the speedo cable to see if it works.. Now to wait for a day that there isnt a tornado close by!!! The rain the past 2 days has killed my nova time!

·
Registered
567 Posts
The speedo in my 80 Silverado quit working on me. The cable was good and the speedo was good. I finally pulled the tail shaft off of the tranny and the speedo gear had slid back to the rear and wasn't contacting with the cable gear. It worked perfectly after that.

·
Super Moderator
12,004 Posts
The cable will not come out of the housing from the bottom. An easy test is to disconnect at the transmission and spin the cable by hand while having someone watch the speedometer. If it moves the problem is in the gear. They will wear out and are easy to change.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts