Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i've got this

ive got a purple wire(power) and my battery cable (duh) and another red wire, thick gauge (10g?) that comes from the firewall, goes to the alternator, and then went somewhere on the old starter. that wire has the factory fusible link near the end of it.

this car is a 73, so it had points. now its got an HEI. what do i do with the red wire?!:(:(:(

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ive seen some how tos on here but none ive seen address the fuse wire ive got.

i just dont want to fry anything!

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the 10ga wire more than likely connected to the main stud on the starter that also connects the main battery cable to the starter... check the lug size... if it's a 3/8" ring that's it, if it's 1/8" then it went on a smaller side stud...

the 10ga wire was more than likely always hot, in which case it goes only on the main battery cable stud on the starter... the other, smaller terminal(s) is/are switched...

·
6,502 Posts
Like Flyer stated, the wire from the harness with the large ring terminal on it and the fusible link goes to the same spot as the battery positive cable.

This factory wire goes up behind the engine, splits with a section of wire going to the output stud on the alternator and then the other part of this wire goes over by the brake resevoir. This factory red wire powers the fuseblock and also ties the alternator output to the battery to recharge it.

I can't remember the year break but I think on my 73 this red wire went right into the bulkhead connector while on a 74 it went to a junction block above the bulkhead connector.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
The purple wire usually goes to the "S" terminal on the starter. It is activated by the ignition switch and would run through a neutral saftey switch if you have an auto trans.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what threw me off was that both posts on my new starter are large posts. im used to one or two being smaller and one obvious large one. hmm.. thanks yall

·
6,502 Posts
what threw me off was that both posts on my new starter are large posts. im used to one or two being smaller and one obvious large one. hmm.. thanks yall
Just looking at the picture there looks to be a wire coming out of the starter that looks to go to the left side large stud on the solenoid. If you were to hook up your battery cable (and the factory 10 gauge red with the fusible link) to that stud then the starter motor would be spinning all the time. This you don't want.

The right stud looks to have nothing connected to it and this stud is where the main positive battery cable would go as well as the factory red 10 gauge wire with the fusible link.

How the solenoid works is when 12 volts is applied to the small 1/4" wide male terminal on the solenoid, the solenoid clunks and inside of it a plunger retracts and moves a lever to slide out the gear on the starter motor shaft to engage into the flywheel to crank over the engine. At this same time battery power from the right terminal is internally connected to the left terminal which then sends power down to the start motor to get it to spin and turn.

All of what I've said above is from what I can figure out looking at the picture you posted. "Hopefully" you got a wiring diagram and if you look at it and compare to what I stated, you should be good to go.

Jim

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
haha thanks. it came with a diagram that has since vanished. important pieces of paper seem to do that around me, which is why i keep all my titles in my sock drawer(shh).

·
6,502 Posts
Does the wiring and connections make sense to you now ?

Another thing is when you converted to the HEI, did you remove the factory wire off of the original starter ?. If you did, great but if it's still there and it's not being used you might want to cap the end of the wire and tie it into the loom so it won't cause problems later.

Jim

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the wiring and connections make sense to you now ?

Another thing is when you converted to the HEI, did you remove the factory wire off of the original starter ?. If you did, great but if it's still there and it's not being used you might want to cap the end of the wire and tie it into the loom so it won't cause problems later.

Jim
im pretty sure i removed it at the firewall. it had the battery, thick red wire, purple wire and another(black i think). i removed the black one from that section. the purple is keyed, the red connects to the alt(so thats the one yall were talking about) so the black was the odd man out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
so i've got this

ive got a purple wire(power) and my battery cable (duh) and another red wire, thick gauge (10g?) that comes from the firewall, goes to the alternator, and then went somewhere on the old starter. that wire has the factory fusible link near the end of it.

this car is a 73, so it had points. now its got an HEI. what do i do with the red wire?!:(:(:(
Here's the link to the instructions for your new starter.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/500/555/555-10065_10080-82_10090-10091.pdf

I hope this copied okay. I'm doing it from my iPhone.

If not, go to Jegs' web page for your starter and click the instructions link.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
If you get no power to the HEI during cranking, like is noted in Item 4 in the attachment link Dan posted, I have a diagram of how I resolved this. Note that your wire colors probably are different because of the model year differences.

Because you getting power off the high draw starter terminal, the diode prevents back feeding the starter when the key is in the run position. Otherwise it will keep the starter engaged with a circuit heavy enough to handle it a that would be bad.
I put the fuse in the line in case the diode shorts out. Don't think the instructions mention things that could go wrong. I probably could use a smaller fuse, but, I'm too lazy to experiment.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts