Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone recommend a simple and affordable wiring harness ? I need to rewire the whole car (69 Nova) and was wondering if anyone here recommends a good kit. Car will have no heater and radio. No accessories either. Only what will get the car road worthy. Thanks, SS.

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
American Autowire makes what they call the "Classic Update Kits". The 1969 - 72 one retails for $669.00, which is cheaper than buying all their repop harnesses (but not by a ton). It does take some knowledge and effort to install though, so that may not qualify as "simple". Our local hod rod shop loves these kits and uses them all the time in trucks and older Chevys.

Another option is a mixture of good used and new. The engine feed and rear light harnesses are usually trashed, so buy those new. Light feed and dash hunt down good used.

I am curious as well to see what other options people have.

·
Registered
878 Posts
SS, I've installed Centech, Ron Francis and American Autowire (X2). I don't know the difference between a watt and a volt but I do know American Autowire is absolutely idiot proof. Great instructions, easy and fast access to friendly tech line and exceptional quality wire and parts.
If you can attach a wire that is (clearly) marked "left headlight" to the left headlight then you can wire your car with this kit.
Summit has great deals on AAW kits.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just started looking over the 71 Nova I just got. I was told all I had to do was wire up the engine and paint the car! HaHa, lol, I should of known that wouldn’t be it. When I checked out the car before I bought it, it looked like it was all there, some of the wiring under the hood was cooled up and there was a lot of parts in boxes. Upon further inspection half of the stuff isn’t there. And the other wiring that is there is really brittle,So I was wondering if I should get a new engine compartment wiring harness or just get the whole car. I have read on other sites about a “ painless” wiring harness that says it’s very easy and gives you step by step instructions, but it won’t work with OEM style. So if I wanted to start with just the engine harness it won’t match up. Does the American auto wire harness match up so you can do one compartment at a time? After reading the above reply it sounds like if the engine bay wiring is bad the rear wiring is probably bad also. On an almost 50 yr old car, is it even worth not doing the whole car, or is the dash area usually ok? I love this site! People here have a lot of great ideas and are super helpful, and knowledgeable!

·
Vendor
1,782 Posts
First question would be are you going stock, heavily modified or somewhere in between? The AAW non-stock kits have to be done all at once, as that is how they are sold. Their factory replacement harnesses can be pieced together, as they are sub assemblies as designed from the factory.

Feel free to contact me and I can walk you through this. It is easier than it may seem (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts