Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am looking to install a third brake light on my 1970 Nova. It comes with two wires a positive and a negative. My question is, whats the best way to wire it? Some people are saying to go directly to the brake switch but I'm not sure what to tap in to? Has anyone done this? Do you know what wire I would tap in to so it only goes with the stop light and not the blinker?

Thanks

Jose

·
6,554 Posts
If you are dealing with a stock wiring harness, there should be a white wire (shown in blue below) between the brake switch and the column connector. This is where you would get 12V for the third brake light.

Below is the brake light circuit for a 1970 Nova.

If the wiring is not factory, find the switched output off of the brake pedal switch using either a test light or a voltmeter and then verify it is also on a fused circuit.

Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THank you, exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate it

If you are dealing with a stock wiring harness, there should be a white wire (shown in blue below) between the brake switch and the column connector. This is where you would get 12V for the third brake light.

Below is the brake light circuit for a 1970 Nova.

If the wiring is not factory, find the switched output off of the brake pedal switch using either a test light or a voltmeter and then verify it is also on a fused circuit.

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts