Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new powermaster 100amp and I want to run it as a 3 wire set up, my car is a 67 acadian and has the stock external regulated 37 amp alt. with the power wire from the horn relay and the white and blue wire from the voltage reg. I know to connect the red to the white and the brown to the blue wires from the external reg. Then do I run the blue and white wires that went to the alt. before to the new alt., if so the plug in that I have from stock is different from the plug in on the new alt. can I just cut off that plug and put on the rght one? If so does it matter which wire goes to which spade on the new alt.? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You will need to convert to an internally regulated altenator. Checkout the www.novaresource.org. One of the wires is for the idiot light and the other is a sensing wire. The SI plugs are available at most parts stores for under $5. Don't forget to run an 8 gauge charging wire.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi 67Canso,

On your old setup, the brown wire at the voltage regulator leads to the GEN light on the dash. And the red wire at the voltage regulator provides a voltage reference.

You're on the right track with jumpering the red & white, and brown & blue wires together at the regulator. What that accomplishes is basically just extending the red & brown wires to the new voltage regulator location (now inside the alternator).

With that in mind, the two spade connectors on the SI alternator are labeled 1 and 2 by numbers cast into the housing. #1 is the warning light terminal. It should be connected to the blue wire (which in turn leads back to the brown wire going to the light). #2 is the voltage sensing terminal. It should be connected to the white wire (which in turn leads back to the red voltage reference wire).

As tnblkc230wz said, you can get the plug that fits the SI alternator at most auto parts stores. But note that the only difference between the SI plug and your old externally regulated alternator plug is the plastic housing (the terminals inside are exactly the same). So if you want to avoid cutting up your wiring harness, simply insert a pin or small screwdriver into the connector housing to push down the release tabs. That'll allow you to remove the metal terminals (still crimped to the wires) from the plastic housings. Simply re-insert the existing terminals/wires into the new SI connector housing. Maybe practice on a spare/junk connector if you haven't removed this style of terminal before.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I quess the plug that I have is a 10DN style and I will do what you said and just pull the terminals out and put on a new SI plug. I just did not know if the blue and white wires were the right wires to be plugged in to the new internally regulated alt. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts