Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am adding a little touch to the Chuck Wagon.
I am changing out the flexible tubing (wire covers) and putting on the Painless Power Braid Wire wrap.

Beside plain ole electrical tape what is a good tape to use that adheres to itself?

Isn't there some type of electrical tape that vulcanizes itself to itself?

Any input would be appreciated!

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Keep the ends of the new Braided wire in place and give it a better finisher look

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
If the wire ends aren't terminated slide some heat shrink tube over the ends. If you are using on an existing harness you may be able to use a small dab of liquid tape.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
When properly applied, quality "self-fusing" and "self-vulcanizing" tapes seal and hold quite well. However, even the slightest contaminant, or installation conditions that are not ideal, can render them useless and a waste of time and money.
They also differ in their abilities to resist various chemicals, which often results in a tacky, gooey, nasty mess if the wrong chemical/solvent/fluid contacts the tape. When they don't turn to goo, they get hard and crusty, eventually crumbling.
I'm not a fan. I've used tens of thousands of feet of various types and brands, and they all eventually either turn to goo, or get hard and crusty.

If you don't want to mess with that -- I wouldn't -- I'd go with a cloth tape like that suggested by Dutch Nova Dude.

Personally, I use heat shrink and/or regular old electrical tape for plastic loom, and heat shrink and/or cloth tape for braided/cloth loom.

·
6,591 Posts
Something I have yet to try, and may here now that I thought of it, is could one take a section of heat shrink tubing and cut it length wise to where it could then be wrapped around something and then with some overlap, glue the edges together and then after the glue dries, position the seam on the backside so it's not in plain view and then shrink the tubing ?.

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried a few things on mine. The plastic electric tape doesn't work because it doesn't hold.
The type of tape in the link below works great because the adhesive side will stick to the cloth side and holds very well

https://www.ebay.com/p/Wiring-Loom-...iid=153021244863&_trksid=p2349624.m4096.l9055
Any where in the US to pick this up> HAs to come all the way from China?
But yes something like this!

Something I have yet to try, and may here now that I thought of it, is could one take a section of heat shrink tubing and cut it length wise to where it could then be wrapped around something and then with some overlap, glue the edges together and then after the glue dries, position the seam on the backside so it's not in plain view and then shrink the tubing ?.

Jim
I like this idea! might give it a try during my winter break...

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any where in the US to pick this up> HAs to come all the way from China?
But yes something like this!
Wouldn't know where because I'm not from the US but I'm sure you can find it over there. Maybe even a hardware store, not really that special. Or check Tesa or 3M cloth tape on the web...you'll find it.

·
Registered
878 Posts

Jim
I've thought about this as well. If anyone can make it work please post the details. Glue used and so-forth.
Thx

·
Super Moderator
12,022 Posts
BTW Mark I purchased from this place. Usually buy the sleeving in 100' rolls and by the foot for the split wrap since I use less of that. Amazon also sells both products for a good price.
The painless kit seems to be a little overpriced for what you actually get.

·
Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

I have ordered the Tesa product

As far as the Painless kit it was a gift so yes very expensive I will be ordering that in bulk from now on!

Mark

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,932 Posts
Hi Mark

not too sure if this is what u need ..... but ..... IS Very Good for
"self - sticking" . I used it a lot at work & at home , when wiring.

scotch / 3M Brand : Electrical Moisture Sealant (tape).
(D.C.I. No. 054007)- 06147

Insulating and Moisture - Sealant
mastic with vinyl backing
2 1/2" x 10' x .045"

I would get it through work (vender) , and should be able to buy at any 3M supplier. cost - ?

just FYI , my 2cents .

later, jim

(fold it over .... stick it to "it-self" ...... u can't pull-it back apart ! ).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Somebody needs to tell PSI to use braided loom on their harnesses,I sent mine back and got one from CBM motorsports,came with braided loom and heatshrink on all the connectors. I really dislike corrugated plastic loom...:no::yes::turn:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts