Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a problem with my wipers. when I crank up my 71 Nova, the wipers stay on. Low and high speed work but do not shut off. I have replaced the wiper switch but the problem persists. Is it possible the wiper plug is installed incorrectly, as in upside down? I replaced it the same way/direction I took the old one out.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
the spring loaded mechanical "plunger " is stuck, the gear that cycles the pump is supposed to turn 1 revolution, and then plunger resets.. if not it just keeps pumping.
Take it off the car and take the cover off. maybe you can clean the spring.
#2 red arrows in the picture is the actuator arm . the rectangle hole engages with the angled gear cogs for one rev then the red arrows in the middle show where the block returns( because you let go of the pump button) and holds the pump lever off of the gear so it doesn't engage, as the wipers confine to operate. The gear in the middle actually operated the pump.
Or you could say......Its stuck!
IMG-0632.jpg
IMG-0635.jpg

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
OPPs I misread what you posted. I ASSUMED you meant the washer pump would not stop.

·
6,516 Posts
I doubt a wiring plug could be plugged in wrong or have two ways to plug it into something. GM,Ford, Chrysler and all of the others want to make it idiot proof to where something like that could happen with a plug being connected wrong.

Most wiper motors have what they call a "Park" position and this is so when the wiper switch is turned off and the wipers are in mid travel like in your line of sight, they don't stop but continue on until they get to a "Parked" position that normally is down low and not blocking your line of sight out the front windshield.

SO, with all of that said, turn the ignition switch on and let the wipers do there thing wiping back and forth on the windshield. Now with them still moving at let's say the straight up position, disconnect the plug on the wiper switch inside the car. If the wipers continue to go back and forth for a few cycles, then the issue is not with the switch and chances are it's the wiper motor. The wiper switch connects grounds so with it unplugged no ground can be created through the switch or if it was possibly plugged in wrong, which I doubt it can be.

The wiper motor also requires a ground which is built into the assembly and I do not know what happens if this ground were to become undone, one could leave the ignition switch in the on position and the indash switch disconnected with the wipers going back and forth through many cycles and then one could take a jumper wire from the battery negative terminal and touch it to a bare metal spot on the wiper motor housing. If it's painted heavily, scrape off some paint off of one of the motor bolt's head. Now if the wiper arms stop where they should in the "park" position, then you need to add a permanent ground or see if you can get the original one working. IF with this jumper wire test the motor continues to run and the wipers never stopping, then I would think it's a motor issue with the park circuit not stopping the motor when it should be.

This is a picture I stole of another member doing a ground wire jumper test:

And here is where the factory has the jumper connection:

Hope this helps.

Jim

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the help. I will try grounding it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,753 Posts
Rush . . . . . . . . I would do 'Custom Jim's test' .
Also, I think Ruppert can be correct - - - meaning , on your 'wiper switch' , check that the switch is NOT
pushed-in (for the washers) , and maybe stuck in the "in-position" - - - - which could be trying to 'wash-your-window' ; and, not shutting-your-system-off . - - - - simple .
let us know , what works .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am having the same issue. I replaced my motor due to the old one just stopping on me. Now with the new one it just keeps running. I tried the ground wire test as stated above however when I did this the wire just started sparking. Now I’m just lost.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried custom Jim's ground test after cleaning the brass ground tab area but it didn't help. Guess it's time for a new wiper motor. I have seen refurbed ones for sale in some of my parts catalogs. They are about $100 cheaper but I'm wondering has anyone else had any luck with them? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got mine from classic industries for like $150. But should have got it from auto zone. They have it for 75.00.
It’s weird if I unbolt they motor it works fine. When I bolt it back on that’s when it runs when the ignition is turned on.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeremiah, it sounds like your power may be back feeding, just a guess. These things will drive me nuts yet.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Disregard that last thought , I just remembered the motor starts off of ground. sorry

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Jeremiah, I just posted in your other thread about this. I see you have already determined that it's an issue with the new motor. As I described in the other thread, it sounds like the parking switch (as Jim is describing in post #4) was stuck closed, causing the motor to run whenever it was receiving power via the ignition switch. And your post #9 about the motor stopping when you unbolt it (which takes away the ground for the parking switch) would seem to confirm that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts