Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this item has been beaten to death, but it is still driving me nuts. I rewired my 69 Nova, but did not have the original wiper wiring harness to incorporate into the system. It is a two-speed, rectangular body motor that is in good shape. I bench tested the motor, and it worked just fine. I installed it on the car and wired it to switch then tried it again. No joy. The motor failed to park. The brass grounding strap on the motor appears to be intact, and I securely grounded the switch to the metal dash. My improvised wiring consists of the switched hot to the motor (from the fuse box) and two wires from the low and high motor terminals to the corresponding terminals on the switch. One terminal on the switch is unused. I'm guessing that's for the washer pump.

After all this, I retested the motor using the same procedure I did on the bench. Everything worked just fine - including the PARK function.

So the questions are - Do I have a bad switch, a bad ground or is there a function for the unused terminal on the switch? Thanks for you help.

·
6,557 Posts
Try unplugging all of the wires at the motor (with it mounted to the firewall) and then connect up just the accessory 12V line to it. Now turn on the ignition to the RUN position.

If it runs and doesn't stop and park then try adding a temporary ground from one of the motor bolts to a good ground or from one of the screws for the washer pump solenoids cover to a good ground. If it stops like it should, then there is an issue with the brass ground strap.

If it then still runs without any of the activation wires connected then the issue is with the motor.

If it stops and parks in the right position, connect the proper terminal(s) to get the low speed to work using some test jumper wires, bypassing the wires going to the interior switch and then disconnect them and see if it stops and parks like it should.

Then do the same by connecting to the proper terminal(s) to get the high speed to work again using test jumper wires, bypassing the wires going to the interior switch and then disconnect them to see if it stops and parks like it should.

If you get the wipers to work on low and high and it parks like it should in both speeds with these test jumpers, then it's from the wiring and/or the switch in the car. You will then need to do further test with a ohm meter.

I don't recall the exact wiring, but for one speed or the other there will be two ground wires to activate the one speed while the other speed only requires one grounded terminal. Maybe do a search and see if any wiring diagrams show up.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ground strap had to be compromised. After I securely grounded the motor to the firewall, it works as it should. Thanks!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts