Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 63 wagon and I am in the process of installing a new Heidts front end along with vintage air and cleaning up the firewall. Was wondering if anybody has moved the wiper motor inside and what brand works best! Thanks for your help!

ImageUploadedByAG Free1360184422.171241.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am doing the same thing and from what I can tell the best way to go is Detroits Speeds setup. Moves everything inside while still using the stock arms and such. I also asked them if the knob they provide can be ordered separately to make all the knobs match, and they can.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
TomM did his and there were a few pictures floating around here.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
I put mine under the dash and used one of the cable run ones and it dose not work very well at all and am going to remove it and put a Detroits Speeds setup in. Maybe I can save you some time and money.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I used a Detroit Speed unit that mounts flat on the firewall under the hood. It looks pretty clean plus frees up room under the dash.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Reach out to Walt (Nova656567) if you decide to purchase a DSE unit. He is a dealer for them. Treated me well on my purchase.

·
Registered
157 Posts
66mussl Isn't that supposed to go UNDER the dash??? I dont think it is supposed to be outside like that.

The kit comes with a plate to block the hole in the firewall doesnt it?

I am just asking as I want to use the dse kit and was planning on welding a plate over that hole.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
This is a universal exterior kit. I did not want the under dash unit. I have had this on my 66 coupe since 2007 & it works very well. I am also using this same unit on my 66 wagon project. In 2007 they weren't offering anything for the early Novas yet. And yes I can read directions, if I have too.:D

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I used a Detroit Speed unit that mounts flat on the firewall under the hood. It looks pretty clean plus frees up room under the dash.

I had mine under the dash.......took it out. It's too cluttered under my dash.
Besides, that unit is too pretty to hide.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
It looks a whole lot better than the stock one in addition to how much better it functions. Paint them the same color as the firewall & they almost disappear. As you say space is at a premium under the dash.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Yes I can POST that part number for you Johnny. Detroit Speed #121101 selecta-speed universal wiper kit. Gonna put that on the rear so you can see where ya been?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
nooooo! :no: ;)

Dave and i have been yik-yakking for a week or more, off and on about the wipers... i looked at DSE's site and saw the underdash unit and knew it wasn't what you used so i figured i'd ask...

so... it's a universal unit but you just bolted it up or what kinda stuff did ya have to do to make it work?

i like it and i'm gonna go look at the number now... thanks a lot!!! ;)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
not a lot of info for it... i don't see a site search on their page. i googled the number and came up with a DSE page for check out but no other info found.

i guess i'd need to call 'em, huh? appreciate any info you can provide before i do call/contact 'em... Thanks :D

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
I welded up the opening on the firewall to start with. Then I made a template to locate the mounting holes & drive shaft location. I think I was able to use the original top mounting hole. I did have to modift the pitman arm. I think I used the original & the new to make one. I believe you have to shorten the new one that comes with the kit. The length of the arm determines the wiper sweep. I will look at that this morn & see if I can tell exactly what I did.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
ooh geeze... i don't think that unit is for me then.. i don't want to modify or fab anything, i'd like a bolt on and go unit...

so... that leaves the Newport unit as my only choice for a factory style (mounted) updated wiper assembly?

my heart is breaking :p ;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts