Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68' nova with classic car plate. I deleted the wiper assembly completely since it will be driven in nice weather and rain-x applied to the winsheild if I do get caught in the rain for a short time. I also will be having the holes for the wiper arms cut out and flat sheet welded in to smooth it out. Any ideas how to pass inspection or do I have to find a 'good 'ol boys' shop?

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
I have to say I have never understood this logic. I don't know of any state that this would pass inspection. Definitely a safety equipment violation. I know it looks cleaner and we never anticipate needing them but things happen. Also from a resale stand point it could be a deal breaker. Just my 2 cents. Not ragging on anyone that does this. Your car, your decision.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The car has a blower on it. I'd park it before I drove in any type of rain. I suppose you really don't like many of the vehicles at sema then that are full blown customs. It would be pretty boring if everyone kept everything the way it came from the factory. from buying a car then This car will be with me until the end.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
I said in my reply I'm not ragging on anyone who does this. I also said "Your car, do it your way". I am fine with that. We just come from different camps. I drive my car quite a bit. I have logged over 70K on my 66 hard top and I want wipers. And if you think I'm just a tire kicker, check out my 66 wagon LS6 powered 2 door conversion thread in the 2nd gen section. Nuff said. Have a great day and keep the RainX handy!!!:D

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Hi Corey. I am going to start over with your initial question. I checked the PA requirements regarding the wiper issue. The law states you must have wipers that operate properly, no exceptions. I see that in your state you are required to have yearly inspections before they issue you a new tab each year. The inspections are preformed by a state licensed shop. You may find someone who is willing to pass the car with no wipers but he will have to do this each year. I would think if he was ever caught doing this, he could lose his inspection license. In my state it could be done. We have no yearly safety inspections. I can license and title my car and then remove the wipers if I choose. I get a renewal in the mail and send a check for the yearly tab, no inspection required. If I ever got pulled over and the cop noticed I didn't have wipers he could issue a "fix it" ticket then I would be required to fix the issue before I am able to buy new tabs for the following year. Bottom line is we are car guys that enjoy driving our cars. If you are going to drive on the street then you must do what it takes to license the vehicle. I was not trying to bust your chops about your wanting to delete the wipers but only questioning if you had thought about the consequences. I know where you're coming from, no wipers give a clean smooth look. I wish there was a way to hide them. Now go enjoy your car, your way. :yes:

·
6,407 Posts
I find nothing wrong with his reply to your question. He's offering his insight which I have to agree with. His advice was wise and letting you know there could be problems down the road for you. He did say it's your car, your decision. I think of it as NPHNP and you are not seeing it that way.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Thanks Shane. Sometimes we get a little short sighted when we begin a build. Need to step back and think about the long term. I also like the "smell your own farts". Reminds me of middle school lunch room.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I said in my reply I'm not ragging on anyone who does this. I also said "Your car, do it your way". I am fine with that. We just come from different camps. I drive my car quite a bit. I have logged over 70K on my 66 hard top and I want wipers. And if you think I'm just a tire kicker, check out my 66 wagon LS6 powered 2 door conversion thread in the 2nd gen section. Nuff said. Have a great day and keep the RainX handy!!!:D

^^^ ...... You Didn't "Rag on his car" ....... It is HIS CAR , I sure hope I never get to PA .....

I find nothing wrong with his reply to your question. He's offering his insight which I have to agree with. His advice was wise and letting you know there could be problems down the road for you. He did say it's your car, your decision. I think of it as NPHNP and you are not seeing it that way.
NPHNP -- Shane, not everyone gets it ....... I'm going with

nova66mussl , and, going to be a safe driver (with wipers), for both me & my family .

........... jim

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,055 Posts
Answering your actual question:

SO in PA you have to have yearly inspections and need wipers.

Dam.

Well, I'd become pretty good at removing and installing wiper assemblies and the cowl vent panel. well as good as you can get on an annual basis.
I'd buy an extra one and have the wiper holes flattened and filled in like you stated and there ya go.
The cowl vent panel isn't hard to remove, but the wiper arms can be a PITA, especially if they are 40 years old.

side comment: I have a windshield on my Harley. It doesn't have wipers. I never intentionally ride in the rain(not lately), but when I do get caught in the rain I just deal with it. I go bit slower, create more buffer zone around me, and if its pouring I might actually stop and wait it out.

GL hope this helps

·
Registered
928 Posts
I checked the PA requirements regarding the wiper issue. The law states you must have wipers that operate properly, no exceptions. I see that in your state you are required to have yearly inspections before they issue you a new tab each year. The inspections are preformed by a state licensed shop. You may find someone who is willing to pass the car with no wipers but he will have to do this each year. I would think if he was ever caught doing this, he could lose his inspection license. In my state it could be done. We have no yearly safety inspections.
I'm just curious why PA or any state would require yearly inspections? I personally would probably look for a "good 'ol boy shop"..... but it would suck to have to fix your paint job and body work just becasue of a fix-it ticket. Knock on wood, but I'm surprised CA's tree huggers up in Sacramento haven't started a B.S. rule like yours in PA.

But we do have random SMOG Inspection check points in the LA area....and they mostly set up in low income minority areas.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,055 Posts
another thought:

I'm sure someone has adapted the 70-73 Camaro hidden wiper system to the Nova? maybe poke around the internet a bit on that subject.
If that's a viable solution you would have the best of both worlds and just do it once.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Cory, here's another option for you. I didn't realize your cowl section was removable separately. The one on my 66 is not. Have the two separate cowls that you can switch out. DSE makes a low profile wiper motor that may work with your blower. Paint it the firewall color and it blends in quite well. Then you could leave the motor intact and just remove the wiper arms and pivots when you want. I have one here and you can't see it. Also on my wagon. The one on the wagon is more visible because of the lower profile intake. With your blower setup you probably won't see it. Hope this helps.
DSCF0029 by Patrick Brown, on Flickr
008 by Patrick Brown, on Flickr

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
I have a 68' nova with classic car plate. I deleted the wiper assembly completely since it will be driven in nice weather and rain-x applied to the winsheild if I do get caught in the rain for a short time. I also will be having the holes for the wiper arms cut out and flat sheet welded in to smooth it out. Any ideas how to pass inspection or do I have to find a 'good 'ol boys' shop?
Can't you just change from classic plates to antique plates and forget about inspection entirely?

Not really up on my PA registration info but I thought that was a possibility.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Can't you just change from classic plates to antique plates and forget about inspection entirely?

Not really up on my PA registration info but I thought that was a possibility.
From what I read, there's an exemption for the emissions but not the safety inspection which is what this would fall under.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was thinking about switching to antiques plates, you are right, it doesn't require yearly inspections.

I also like the idea of two cowls, one smooth and one for inspection.

May just file for antique plates and be done with it.

The idea for yearly inspections in Pa is just to make and take more money from hard working Pa residents.

·
Premium Member
2,814 Posts
Double check the antique exemption. It is probably for emissions only. You may still have a yearly safety inspection. I was on the PA site and found the emission exemption but nothing was said about the safety inspection.. Good luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I got my classic plates they told me I was exempt from regitration besides the initial. They did mention that antique plates would be both exempt from registrations and inspections, but I will double check. As well, emissions are not required on cars or this age, or even in the county I live in in Pa. but I will be making a call tomorrow to make sure about the inspections.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts