Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my wiper arms and for the passenger side I got it to match with the driver side while at rest with some readjusting of the arm. I redid the angle of the arm.

Now with the driver side, I love where it is at at rest as it does not touch the bottom trim but is it typical that when it travels, that it goes past the side trim on the A pillar?

I did every combination and I can either have it pass the A pillar in travel or the bottom trim at rest. I have never ever used the wipers so I'm not familiar with its travel distances.

Heres the shot at rest. Its the lowest I can get it (both wipers) without touching bottom trim. Super happy with this look.

Here's at the extent of its travel before going back towards base of windshield. Notice that the driverside wiper goes past into the A pillar. Is this normal/typical? (Note: the trim on sides and top are not fully attached with the clips. The base trim is fully attached)

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Need shorter wiper blades, mine don't go over my A pillar trim
When I would turn them on.
I went with the same as what was on the car originally. (Still had factory wipers) 16"

What size do you have?

Yeah here in Cali, it hardly rains and probably will not be an issue but still would like to at least try to see if it can be resolved.:)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Hmm,not sure what size? Car is at paint jail.:( But I know I had about four to five inches of space to the top windsheild trim from the end of the blade,when the arm went in motion.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hmm,not sure what size? Car is at paint jail.:( But I know I had about four to five inches of space to the top windsheild trim from the end of the blade,when the arm went in motion.
Wow that much! I have only about 1/2"-3/4" from top trim while in motion. I will have to look into different sizes. If thats the case, than that may cure my little issue.

I was thinking of changing the attachment point of the second arm controller to make the radius larger therfore slowing down that arms motion to stop before the trim. (At least in theory lol:rolleyes:)

·
6,502 Posts
You are experiencing one of the same things I did when I relocated my wiper motor.

I'm not sure exactly how you did your relocation but on mine I kept the stock linkage between the cowl shafts that the wiper arms then attach to as I knew both wipers as designed from GM had the wipers moving the correct amount in relationship to each other. On mine I then cut the linkage from the passenger side wiper that went to the wiper motor. After some trial and error I finally came up with the right amount of steel to put in between the two cut off ends.
On mine I made a new wiper motor bracket that attached to the motor/gearbox stud and the ball end that the linkage attached to. On mine at one point I had the center to center length to long and when I turned the wiper motor on the wipers over traveled just like yours. I then shortened the center to center and then had them not traveling/wiping enough. Eventually I found the sweet spot.

On mine now the wipers are parallel and horizontal each other and to the center of the cowl molding and then at full travel the driver's wiper arm is pretty close to vertical/90 degree's to the cowl and the passenger side travels over to where the drivers side has wiped already.

Here's some pictures I just took. Just so you know loking at the pictures my lower windshield trim is welded to the cowl and the glass is flush mounted to the A pillars and roof. The blades on mine are 15".

Jim

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Custom Jim for sharing your results. I am so curious as to how your Nova looks as the coloration looks sweet!:yes:

All night I was thinking about it and this morning the little light bulb above my head was shining bright!:D

I decided to mock up my idea on what I wanted to do with cardboard. The plan was to work on the Driver side only as I was happy with the pass side travel.

So my original theory was to work on the distance between the final linkage and the wiper arm connection. By moving the distance in or out I would change the distance of travel of the wiper arm.

So on cardboard I made the idea and sure enough it worked. Move the final linkage closer to the wiper arm connection and the arm will move with much more distance. Move it away (by increasing the distance of the final linkage from the wiper connection) and the arm moves a shorter distance.

So after cutting my linkage and wroking the trial and errors, I got it to work by increasing the distance by 3/8". This was the amount needed to get the wiper arm on the driver side to start at the base of the windshield and end completely vertical (similar to yours). All this with the max of 16" blades

I made a full video on the entire process that I will upload soon. I'm super happy with my results and did not have to go with shorter blades. Its funny how two different mothods (yours and mine) resulted in similar results.

Thanks guys for chiming in and helping me out. I will link the video to this thread and my build thread when its uploaded.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A happy ending!

Just finished up doing my little project for today. Now I am pleased! I only modified the driver side wiper arm movement and left the pass side just as it was.

Though it does not rain much here where I live, I'm still happy to have them working to my liking for when it does rain. (Note I placed tape to hold the trim in its attached position to see the final results. Blade does not hit anything in it entire route of travel.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts