Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing rewiring my 64 nova. I am confused on how this whole system works. It looks like it has constant power and the switch creates the ground to get the switch to work. Does this sound right? It is a 2 speed motor. What does each tab on the back of the switch do? Also, is there a way to bench test a motor? Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Hi 109782,

You're right, the wiper motor is on a switched ground circuit. One of the wires going to the motor supplies power whenever the ignition is on. The switch grounds one or both of the other two wires to operate the motor on the high & low speeds. The solenoid for the washers works in a similar manner ... one wire is +12V supply and the other is switched to ground via the dash switch.

I think there's a sticky post here in the electrical forum with a wiring diagram that may help you identify the terminals on the motor and switch.

You can bench test the wiper motor by hooking the supply terminal up to a +12V source. Grounding both the high & low terminals will cause the motor to run at low speed. Grounding just the high terminal will cause the motor to run at high speed. Leaving the high & low terminals jumpered together (but not grounded) should cause the motor to run to the park position and automatically stop there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How do you bench test a switch?

Is there a way to test the switch?
I have already taken teh switch appart and cleaned it.

As far as I know they don't reproduce these-is there another option?
It does not have to be original.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"I think there's a sticky post here in the electrical forum with a wiring diagram that may help you identify the terminals on the motor and switch.

You can bench test the wiper motor by hooking the supply terminal up to a +12V source. Grounding both the high & low terminals will cause the motor to run at low speed. Grounding just the high terminal will cause the motor to run at high speed. Leaving the high & low terminals jumpered together (but not grounded) should cause the motor to run to the park position and automatically stop there."

Thanks for replies thus far-I am still confused by the wiring diagrams-I have the manual and it does not break up motor vs washer pump.

My motor is set up as follows-
2 terminals on top-I believe for teh pump

4 on the bottom-I believe 3rd in from the left is the ground for teh motor

I have installed and aftermarket wiring harness and there was only one wiper wire and it is a power wire.

Also, at teh switch, it looks like there is 12v into the switch, 12v out and ground.

Thanks in advance for help. I want to get it inspected since warm weather is right around the corner!!
:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts