Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some years we don't get any winter weather in SW B.C., but the norm is to get at least one bout of snow and cold. Last year on this date I was washing our cars. Today it's -9C (15F) with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Strong northeast wind coming from our neighbors in Alberta (-26C (-15F) in Calgary this morning). People living where they have 'real' winter always laugh at our freaking out when it snows. All the schools are closed today! A young lady cashier at a store I was at yesterday summed it up. She said, "When somebody mentions the word snow around here, we all jump in our cars and drive right into the nearest ditch." Bingo!

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking of you yesterday when I heard you got snow in Van. That's funny about the nearest ditch
Well its definetly winter here in Smithers. I get to go outside today and cut wood and it's all my Nova's fault. See I spent till late November working on my Nova shirking my wood cutting. It was an easy decision at the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well its definetly winter here in Smithers. I get to go outside today and cut wood and it's all my Nova's fault. See I spent till late November working on my Nova shirking my wood cutting. It was an easy decision at the time.
Sh-sh-shh-eesh! Minus 34 C!?!? Yeah, but its a dry cold, right?
Well, likely won't break a sweat. (Silver lining in every cloud!)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
i had to google that when daddystoys....showed that - 34 C. thats too cold for me to even go out an TRY to start the car.

·
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had to google that when daddystoys....showed that - 34 C. thats too cold for me to even go out an TRY to start the car.
Interestingly, -40 in Celsius is also -40 in Fahrenheit. After that (heaven forbid), Celsius is smaller than Fahrenheit. For example, -45.6 Celsius is -50 Fahrenheit.

Bob

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Interestingly, -40 in Celsius is also -40 in Fahrenheit. After that (heaven forbid), Celsius is smaller than Fahrenheit. For example, -45.6 Celsius is -50 Fahrenheit.

Bob
-40 is just to cold for a human to be outside. i used to remember that conversion formula from when i lived in germany for 3 years.

·
12,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob I hear your getting more snow out there, soon it will be like Ont.
Yeah, a foot of snow to midnight last night and we've had a lot more since then. The strong northeast wind is causing most of the problems. Highway 1 closed this morning just east of here because of whiteout conditions. All this is not normal for this area where we have limited snow removal equipment, etc. -11C outside my place right now. Not to complain. In Prince George B.C. (about halfway up the province) it's -42C. That's 44 below zero Fahrenheit. All this will change in the next 24-48 hours with warmer air coming in from the Pacific. Forecast for +10C (50F) by Sunday. Flooding next?

Bob

·
Registered
805 Posts
All temps in F
Well, Monday was a nice day for a walk, in Bannf. AB. -15 was the high after going down to -24 overnight. We walked from the hotel to the car, and from parking lot in town to St James Gate Irish Pub for lunch. Then we ventured out about two blocks and the wind picked up from calm to maybe 5 mph and I think my pants froze to my legs. Not sure as my nostrils froze shut and I was kinda focused on breathing threw my scarf and my open mouth.Tthat and not falling on the ice.
Apparently Sunday was a great day to cross off "riding in a horse drawn sleigh" off the bucket list. 40 minutes of -35 wind chill alternating with an occasional warm blast of horse manure odor. wonderful! I thought my wife was sooo smart to get the front seat.
Rode to the frozen lakes... watching people walk 1/2 mile out to the smooth ice so they could skate. After all it was a balmy - 4.
I'm from the coast of Maine. I know cold and how to stay warm. The dryness of the air in Canada does make it feel less cold, to an extent, as compared to the wet cold and wind on the coast of Maine.
BUT, 0 deg , maybe neg 6, compared to -24...… every degree colder seems like 5.
Add in the difference between sea level and and 4500 feet, and no wonder I got wore out just walking up a small hill.
My hats off to all you Canadians! I really enjoyed the trip my wife dragged me on!
It s 54 deg today and I'm hot!.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts