Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got some real harsh rain here this past week. I got in the to go to school on Fri. and I noticed a leak from the windshild not to bad about a tear drop every minute or less, what do I need to fix the problem or should I have the problem fixeed for me($).

·
Registered
388 Posts
A few drops from some harsh rain doesn't sound bad to me. If you want to fix it, pull the trim and add some windshield sealant in the area where it seems to be leaking - finding the place of the leak may be the hard part... I'd dig out some existing sealant to allow the new sealant to properly adhere. Push the trimback on and you're all set.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Start by removing the moldings around the windshield. You will need a special tool for this. There is a small risk of damaging your windshield if you are not careful. If you are not comfortable doing this, better leave the job to a body shop or glass installation company.
If you do remove the moldings, proceed as follows:

turn the key to ON,
turn the blower motor to HIGH,
close all doors and windows, (make sure the doors aren't locked)
soak the outside edge of the windshield with soapy water.
The leak may show up as bubbles around the edge.

If you find the area that needs to be sealed, use a urethane windshield sealer. Let it dry 24 hours before re-installing moldings.
I hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What tool would I need and How do you take off the trim around the windshield properly? or about how much would it cost to have this problem fixed for me (I am pressed for cash right now)?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
The tool looks like a handle with a flat blade on the end. The flat blade end looks like an arrow. The tool is slipped under the molding. You have to slide the tool and feel around for the clips. Once you catch the clip, the tool is moved to pull the clip away and it releases the molding.
It's not that hard, but it takes some practice. The tool can probably be purchased at an auto parts store.
I'm not sure what the job would cost if you had it done. A few phone calls to glass shops, or body shops will give you an estimate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts