Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm using a steering column and wiper/washer motor from a mid 80's caprice. The column has 2 connectors under the dash. I believe one is for the turn signals and the other is for the windshield wipers. The one I believe is for the windshield wipers has:

pink/black/grey/purple/green from left to right.

the motor has 3 terminals for the motor and 2 for the pump. I don't want to use the pump, just the motor. I'm combining this with a painless harness that I believe only has a B+ feed for the wiper switch. How can I hook this up to make it work?

One other question. The male connector for the turn signals is very long and it had another smaller female connector beside the turn signal connector that only has 3 wires. On the male side there is no wires to match those. What is that for? The column has cruise control, but I've not found the wires for that.

thanks

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please help. I can't see the numbers on the 3 prong plug of the motor because I put it under the dash. I tested the motor by putting some wires on it today and got it running. Works great. Power to 1 terminal. Ground one other wire and you have fast speed. Ground both other wires and it runs slow. I believe this is how its supposed to be.

I can't figure the switch out though. It has a delay. The plug has wires from B to F on it.

does there have to be wires on the 2 prong washer connection for the motor to work? Park and everything worked fine when I tested the motor.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wires on the connector are B=Pink C=Black D=grey E=Purple F=Green

there are no A or G

I'm pretty sure the B=Pink goes to the washer switch. The others, I can't figure out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its driving me nuts. From what I can gather, older stuff switched the negative wire. But delay stuff (1980's on) seems to have switched the positive.

example is page 177 in this PDF file. http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/allinone.pdf

I looked up a wiper switch on autozone and it's picture shows B=white C=Grey D=Green E=Purple F=Pink. Granted this would be the output from the column, but it doesn't mach up to the wires I have coming from that connector. I'll look at the ones coming from the column to the connector tomorrow. I'm confused as heck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts