Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had these for years and was going to use them and never did. I believe they came off of a 1963 chevy impala. I have two bottles and the mount.

My question is did they come as original equipment on the Nova? I might think so, but I don't know.
These are stamped on the bottom " RD CANADA 1961 " and a # 15. There are other marks on the triangle edge that is hard to make out.

Thanks for the advise.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,437 Posts
They were indeed original equipment as they were part of a 'Comfort & Conveinence' group which included the two speed wiper w/ washer function. :yes:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
bottles

They do come up on Ebay once in a while, they are not cheap... the original purpose was to hold window washer concentrate to add to the window washer plastic jug...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,605 Posts
Collectors/Restorers look for them,they are $$$
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
The triangular ones that were factory for the nova aren't worth more than like 30 bucks are they? Amazingly mine is still in my car where its been for the last 50 years. If its worth alot I might take it out and put it somewhere safer..

Mine is made in canada too. dated 61! Anybody know why that is? My car is an early production 63. Seems odd to me that the bottle in my car was manufactured before the nova was even in production. Also odd since my car was assembled in california pretty far from canada.

-Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
987 Posts
I am sure that was when the mold was made. Since it had nothing to do with the styling of the car, they probably just kept cranking those out by the thousands for years.

Just curious, what decal is on your early 63 bottle?

Anyone able to share what the correct decals/labels are by year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
514 Posts
Ahh.. That makes sense. Hadn't thought about the mold.

My label is long gone. Probably got wet and fell off. A member shared this website:

http://www.corvairkid.com/refill.htm

Its for a corvair but it should be the same for the novas and other gm cars. Great research there. It tells you which label you should have.

Edit: The original Optikleen was green. Its blue now.. I looked at the MSD's data sheet for optikleen. It literally is 90 percent concentrated methanol. The other 10 percent is water. You can buy straight methanol on ebay and add some food coloring and a little water. It'd be the same thing.

According to their website 62-64 novas should have this label:



-Tom
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
14,165 Posts
Mine is made in canada too. dated 61! Anybody know why that is? My car is an early production 63. Seems odd to me that the bottle in my car was manufactured before the nova was even in production. Also odd since my car was assembled in california pretty far from canada.
-Tom
GM built numerous car lines in Canada, including full size Chevrolets, Chevy IIs and Chevelles, and still do (todays Camaros are all built in Oshawa, Ontario). Components were manufactured in both the U.S. and Canada and swapped back and forth across the border as inventories required. I talked to a fellow a few years ago who was shocked when he pulled the heads from his U.S. built '66 Nova and found 'Canada' cast into them. It seems most, if not all, washer fluid bottles were made in Canada. They were also being made for GM cars before the birth of the Chevy II, which would explain a bottle dated 1961.

Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,605 Posts
Your right Bob.The 194 casting 283 I found is a Saginaw cast block with McKinnon (ST Catherines Canada) cast 520 heads.:yes:
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top