Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to get my '66 painted and I want to take the windshield out before I drop it off at the paint shop (I need a new windshield anyway). I was wondering if there was any trick to getting the chrome moulding off without messing it up. Also, where can I get new winshield rubber? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Welcome Orange66.

The windshield trim comes off with the rubber and windshield (all at once).

Use a razor and trim off the inside rubber lip of the seal. Once you have that done, out the front the whole thing comes. I have done this replacement 2 or 3 times and can be done in less then an hour.

As I hear, Steelie is the best fitting.

HTH?
Brent Thomas
Ohio

·
Registered
491 Posts
How does one go about getting the trim back on. The glass is back in, but they did not put the trim back on.

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
OB_67_Nova said:
How does one go about getting the trim back on. The glass is back in, but they did not put the trim back on.
The trim has to go back on the glass before the seal is wrapped around the window/trim assembly and then placed back in the car.

I hate to tell you this, but if the trim didn't get put on, the entire thing needs to come back out and be redone. :(

·
Registered
491 Posts
Darn,does the trim actually hold the glass in ?
The window will need to come out for paint, but I will not be having that done for a little while. I want to drive it in primer until then.
If it is being held via the rubber can the windshield come out at highway speeds ?

·
Premium Member
14,614 Posts
OB_67_Nova said:
Darn,does the trim actually hold the glass in ?
The window will need to come out for paint, but I will not be having that done for a little while. I want to drive it in primer until then.
If it is being held via the rubber can the windshield come out at highway speeds ?
The trim doesn't really hold the window in, but it will take up some space between the glass and the seal. Without the trim in place, there could be just a little bit of slack in the window fit.

The seal/glass/trim install is really just a tight interference fit. The tighter the better I would think, up to a certain point.

·
Registered
788 Posts
The rear glass is different, it has clips to hold the stainless over the outside of the rubber and need not be present to hold the glass in. It is mearly a trim item.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did they make two different vertical chrome pieces for the 66/67 Novas ?
I was going over the 2 sets of trim that I have for my SS.
Of the 2 sets of vertical pieces on pair is about an 1 - 1 1/2 inches longer.
The short pair seems to be the correct one. The horizontal pieces all seem to be the same lengths, top and bottom. almost looks like the windshield would be different.

·
Registered
790 Posts
OB_67_Nova said:
Did they make two different vertical chrome pieces for the 66/67 Novas ?
I was going over the 2 sets of trim that I have for my SS.
Of the 2 sets of vertical pieces on pair is about an 1 - 1 1/2 inches longer.
The short pair seems to be the correct one. The horizontal pieces all seem to be the same lengths, top and bottom. almost looks like the windshield would be different.
Did you ever collect any post,wagon or 4 door windshield trim?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am not sure.
Do you know if the windshield are different in a coupe and the four door.

·
Registered
790 Posts
OB_67_Nova said:
I am not sure.
Do you know if the windshield are different in a coupe and the four door.
I think the coupe is different.The sedan,wagon and 4 door share the same window and trim.Little shorter if I'm thinking correctly.I could be completely wrong though.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
The hardtops use shorter trim on the sides, the top one is also different from the 4 doors, sedans and wagons. The bottom trim is the only one that will interchange.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
I think there is a difference. My 65 has a removeable weatherstrip. It looks like the seal actually holds the glass in. There's a groove in the seal that goes over the lip around the glass channel. My problem is, does the seal go in first, or do I wrap it around the glass, then try to get it in.

It also looks like I need some type of sealer between the glass to the seal, and the seal to the body. Hey, at least there was no major rust to deal with.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
NovatoriusRex said:
The trim has to go back on the glass before the seal is wrapped around the window/trim assembly and then placed back in the car.

I hate to tell you this, but if the trim didn't get put on, the entire thing needs to come back out and be redone. :(
Now dont get upset, Just take it back to the glass shop that did the work. Ask the owner to get his best man, He the one that been doing this for thirty some years and was sitting back laughing at the know it all that though you just smear some black gunk on the rubber and pop it back in. I would not charge them to much for the leason. I had to go to four shops before I found someone there that really knew how to install the older windshields.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Thank You for the tips and information tonight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts