Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've repainted the convertible and while it's apart I figured I'd redo the seals again. I built the car 25 years ago so I'll do them again now. I ordered from Classic Industries part N2080 62-63 conv window felt kit 8pc. I think the product is horrible. The rubbers don’t have the metal clips on the back side. They V cut the seal and pry the V cut backwards to engage in the stainless door trim. This V cut pry back method has left the rubber bent up, not straight. I'm sure if I install these the crooked profile will remain. I can’t see the V cuts installed in the trim is going to straighten this mess out. What have you guys been using? Whose product is best? Not sure what MFG I used the first time around but I used the Rivet method. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
I've repainted the convertible and while it's apart I figured I'd redo the seals again. I built the car 25 years ago so I'll do them again now. I ordered from Classic Industries part N2080 62-63 conv window felt kit 8pc. I think the product is horrible. The rubbers don’t have the metal clips on the back side. They V cut the seal and pry the V cut backwards to engage in the stainless door trim. This V cut pry back method has left the rubber bent up, not straight. I'm sure if I install these the crooked profile will remain. I can’t see the V cuts installed in the trim is going to straighten this mess out. What have you guys been using? Whose product is best? Not sure what MFG I used the first time around but I used the Rivet method. Thanks for any info.
I'd like to know this too. Had the same problem years ago. Just had the car painted and want to do it right this time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
re-pops window kit

I called Re-pops MFG to get my questions answered.
Very helpful guy (Mark). The problem was the distorted rubber outer seal.
This is because of the V notch as previously stated.
I was told to lay the seal flat and use a small hammer to flatten out the underlying metal. The rubber is vulcanized to the inner aluminum base.
I placed a 3/4" pine board in the vise and used a 1/4" drive socket to bridge over the V notch and slightly taped with a hammer. This did make a big difference in the distortion of the seal.
I did one of the vent window seals last night w/ Re-pops product and was pleased w/the product. I used butchers wax as the lubricant. I'm going to use a stainless bolt and acorn nut for the hinge. I did rivet last time I did the car but I'm going with the hardware this time around. 3/16" allen screw and acorn w/do fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts