Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car (74 hatchback) is in the paint shop now. My original idea was to either paint the window frame trim to match the car, or remove the trim and paint what's underneath. I'm in a bit of a Catch-22, though.

The paint shop isn't thrilled with the idea of painting the trim. They said at the least it should be sand blasted first, and they don't have a sand blaster. I think they're worrying about primer sticking to that kind of metal.

The trim is so weathered that it can't be used as-is. Whether it could be polished to look decent, I don't know. A further problem though is that I really messed up the main passenger side trim piece in taking it off. It's not buckled or broken, but it's out of shape and has some humps along the edges that I don't know how to get out.

I think my best bet is to toss the front window chrome and paint the door frame underneath - that metal is fine - then try to find some way of getting the existing rear quarter window trim painted to match. I'm just not so sure how this would look to have trim in one place and not in another, even though the colors would match.

I *really* want to de-chrome the window frames, but I'll give that up if there's no way to do it.

I can't even buy new trim because nobody makes it for the 73/74 rear quarter windows. Sure, a few sites say their 72 and below trim fits, but that's impossible because the window shape is slightly different.

How do I get my window frames all body color? And if I can't do that, how do I get my trim looking decent enough that I'm not ashamed of it since I can't buy all new? Has anyone else been here and found a solution?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
On cars that did not originally have the bright side window trim, they simply painted the door window frames. And the quarter windows used painted steel trim (instead of anodized aluminum trim).

So to "de-chrome" you can simply have the door window frames painted like you were planning. For the quarter windows, you could either have the aluminum trim painted or get some good used steel trim pieces from a 73 or 74 donor car that didn't originally have the bright side window trim option.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On cars that did not originally have the bright side window trim, they simply painted the door window frames. And the quarter windows used painted steel trim (instead of anodized aluminum trim).

So to "de-chrome" you can simply have the door window frames painted like you were planning. For the quarter windows, you could either have the aluminum trim painted or get some good used steel trim pieces from a 73 or 74 donor car that didn't originally have the bright side window trim option.
Thanks for the reply. If I had to guess, finding those still trim pieces will be like hunting for hen's teeth. That's the way it is with most 73/74 specific parts.

I supposed I could have the aluminum trim anodized and then painted. Any kind of paint directly on aluminum tends to be iffy.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
You're welcome!

From what I've seen, the painted steel side window trim was more common on these cars than the bright aluminum trim option. So in theory, the steel pieces should be a little easier to find. But with them being 73/74 specific parts that are not reproduced, it could take some searching.

The aluminum pieces were originally anodized, but if the finish is deteriorated it probably wouldn't make a good base for painting over. I don't have a whole lot of experience with painting aluminum, but I'd probably look into a DTM (direct to metal) primer that lists aluminum as a suitable substrate and follow the manufacturer's recommendations for surface prep.

If I remember correctly, you have to remove the window channel liner and that will expose the screws that hold the upper/rear piece of quarter window trim in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts