Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the purpose of the cone shaped spring that goes under the window crank handle? Cant find them in the shop manual or assembly manual. I assume it goes between the big plastic washer and the window crank handle? There were none there when I took the handles off. Not sure what the purpose is.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
I am not sure of it's purpose but it does not go between the back side of the handle and the large plastic washer. It goes between the door and the washer.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
554 Posts
It goes between the window regulator and door panel. It is to keep the door panel pushed tight against the window crank handle (or rather the plastic washer that is under the handle) and eliminate any gaps between the two. It should be installed with the small part of the cone against the window regulator so the large part is against the inner part of the door panel.

This pic is from a VW but the idea is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! There was a foam washer/spacer in there when I took the door panel off. I'm assuming that doesn't go there? Looks like that spring might be kind of hard to get in behind the door panel. Just finished putting new rubber in the vent window. Actually not as hard as I thought it would be. Just a little time consuming. Hardest part was getting the rubber into the frame. Makes me wonder how they did that at the factory. Did they have some type of machine that stamped it in or was that someones job day after day?

Attachments

·
Registered
794 Posts
since i am doing this...is this the order:
foam spacer, spring, door panel, plastic washer, window crank..? is that it?

my foam spacers show no sign of a spring imprint. plus, not sure what the purpose of the foam is then if the spring is there? i figured it was either the foam gets used OR the spring, but not both on the same assembly.

thanks for any clarity, info.

-Rusty

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,568 Posts
My door panels have been off my car for 30 years so this thread is informative. It would seem to make sense to me that the foam would go on the crank assembly to create a water barrier with the spring on top of that. Possibly to minimize water from weeping from the shaft onto the door panel. The spring would push the door panel out to make constant contact with the washer which would be pushed out to make constant contact with the door handle. It would appear the plastic washer is there for two reasons, being so the door handle will not rub against the door panel and cause damage and to seal the hole in the panel. I bought 6 of the foam seals a few years ago.

I found that the seal is still available from GMClassic:

HANDLE / CRANK / DOOR PANEL SEAL #53026-1
$1.99 ea.
ROUND BLACK FOAM GOES BEHIND DOOR/SIDE PANEL

·
Registered
794 Posts
a google search for me turned up only this:
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,891226,891312

look at the last post, it is clear that at least for Corvair (and maybe only this particular Corvair) it is spring only for window crank, foam only for door handle.

mine certainly had the foam washer against the crank and handle (there is a clear imprint and they are stuck in place with age), but there was no imprint for the spring, just the imprint of the grey plastic washer.

chevy2only (GM Classics) sells both the spring and the foam.

-Rusty

1 - 9 of 9 Posts