Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is the question... is the product used to line the top and back of the coupe window channels the same stuff used to line the front edge that is installed in the vent window assembly? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok well the answer is yes. I was having window stiffness issues due to a crappy product from a popular vendor. Soffseal is only way to go. This kit does both vertical runs and the top horizontal run in both doors. Amazing difference in quality https://www.soffseal.com/ss-5126

·
Registered
208 Posts
window rubber

Is there glue in the track now? If there is clean it out good the build up will cause the tightness of the window. I don't remember if they were glued in. I thought they should just pop right in. Before you buy some butyl make sure that it was even there at assembly. Butyl is a pain to work with and don't believe it was used for that application Do you have any pictures it would help. If you want to PM me with your # or I will send mine to you I will be glad to talk to you and avoid the time it takes to go back and forth. Either way I'm here to help you Have a great day. Neil

BTW What other brand were you using? Metro makes a good product also

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ok well the answer is yes. I was having window stiffness issues due to a crappy product from a popular vendor. Soffseal is only way to go. This kit does both vertical runs and the top horizontal run in both doors. Amazing difference in quality https://www.soffseal.com/ss-5126
This is true, the run channel felt is the same for all three sections. I just press it in, no butyl or weatherstrip adhesive. Also, the door run channel is not the same stuff used in the quarter glass run channel....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses! My passenger side goes up and down like butter. No such luck on the drovers side. No matter how I adjust it, its tight.It has a brand new lubed up regulator, clean glass, fresh correct rubber channels and is free of old glue and debris. I tried elongating the slot in the door for the vent window adjuster leg to get some more range. It appears the glass wants be pushing the seal on the front channel outwards. All I can think of now is to try a different vent window frame.

·
Registered
208 Posts
tight window rubber

Hi the vent window frame track is adjustable If you take the door panel off you can see the track is on a slide

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi the vent window frame track is adjustable If you take the door panel off you can see the track is on a slide
I have had the whole vent window frame out of the door several times. The only adjustment I see is the long bolt with flange nuts on thats on the bottom of the track.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Meatsaw,
neils66ss provided the adjustment detail but you refer to "a long bolt on the bottom of the window track". I think you're missing what he's offering.

Hopefully this will help you: With the vent window installed, there is an adjustment that can be accessed near the bottom/front of the inside door panel. It is a nut and bolt combination that is attached to the extended vent window frame, also known as the Vent Division Channel. Turning the bolt in/out will manipulate the run channel of the vent window.

You won't get a lot of adjustment out of it but there should be enough to ease the problem you're having with your window glass binding in the vent window channel.
Good luck.
Tim

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hmmm....yes, that is the adjuster we're referring to. When adjusting, you do have the three screws at the top of the vent window frame out, or at least loose, right?

Do you happen to have your window 'cocked' at the top (not parallel with top of door window frame)? This also might be your problem.
The adjustment for a cocked window is at the ends of the inner panel cam (the slider under the window).

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
I need to get some for this '70 SS that I am doing. I see Ground Up has PUI. But it seems as though you are happier with the Sofseal?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I need to get some for this '70 SS that I am doing. I see Ground Up has PUI. But it seems as though you are happier with the Sofseal?

My passenger door rolled up and down super smooth with worn out rubber. I replaced it with the OER stuff and it made it very tight and almost a 2 hand job to roll it up and down. Put in the Soffseal rubber and it was smooth and easy. The Soffseal is way less cranky to put in as well, and it stays in place better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts