Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My driver's side window becomes hard to roll up towards the top. When I pulled the door panel off and took a close look, I noticed the inside of the track has some type of thin rubber/feltish material. It is dry and I'm wondering if lubing it with white lithium or silicone spray is recommended. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Automotive tire Wood Bumper Fixture Automotive exterior

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think it's ok to use silicone spray. I just put some on my window tracks this morning. I was given the can at a dealership back when I had an H1 with windows that stopped rolling up. It made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1973 2 door sedan 350 / 350
133 Posts
I just use silicone spray
I have also used dry graphite lubricant

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My driver's side window becomes hard to roll up towards the top. When I pulled the door panel off and took a close look, I noticed the inside of the track has some type of thin rubber/feltish material. It is dry and I'm wondering if lubing it with white lithium or silicone spray is recommended. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. View attachment 424544
that doesn't get lubed, it should be just the felt. if the felt is bunched up, simply glue it back down. it will only get worse eventually; that felt is there to prevent your window from getting all scratch up by the guide.

-Rusty

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that doesn't get lubed, it should be just the felt. if the felt is bunched up, simply glue it back down. it will only get worse eventually; that felt is there to prevent your window from getting all scratch up by the guide.

-Rusty
The window doesn't actually touch the channel, it's attached to a metal guide. The felt doesn't appear to be bunched...will the silicone eat away at the felt? I was literally just going to spray it with silicone to see if it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Ask yourself this: if the the window is hard to roll up as it gets to the top, why would it make sense to lube the lower part of the window channel? If the lower part was the problem it should be difficult when the window is near the bottom, not the other way around. I would star with checking the regulator for proper alignment, glass for proper alignment in the channels, and lube the channels/rollers of the regulator.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ask yourself this: if the the window is hard to roll up as it gets to the top, why would it make sense to lube the lower part of the window channel? If the lower part was the problem it should be difficult when the window is near the bottom, not the other way around. I would star with checking the regulator for proper alignment, glass for proper alignment in the channels, and lube the channels/rollers of the regulator.
Lube the roller, etc. with silicone too?

·
5,213 Posts
silicone spray should be banned from earth.
Lube the roller and metal track with white lithium. Investigate why is gets hard to roll up in only one place.
reread post #9 and fix the mechanical problem. also check channel weatherstrip seated properly and angle of vertical tracks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
When you roll the window, the track comes up to the felts and rubber,sooo if the drag is there spray the silicone in that area like i said it must be dry try that is it doesn't work then something is loose in there causing the drag..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I sprayed the white lithium grease into the small crevice around the regulator crank shaft and the window immediately began to work much easier. I also applied it to the larger channel pictured earlier but didn't apply it to the smaller channel with the felt because it's in perfect condition. I'm wondering if I should grease the semicircular gear, so if someone could advise I'd appreciate it. Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Tread Grey

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You can use white lithium on that gear without an issue. I've never had problems with it on there. Just make sure you wipe up the drippy excess so it doesn't drip all over when the door gets hot in the summer. It can make quite a mess at times, depending on how much you spray in there :p

·
Registered
220 Posts
On my one 1965 Nova's (that came from Michigan), had a problem with the door window going up and down easily. My problem was related to the vent window guide felt area.

The metal under the felt area was starting to flake rust and bulged out enough to restrict the window from going up and down easily. This was while I was reassembling my car after paint, so when the vent window was out, I had to massage that area, a combination of cleaning up the area and a slight widening of the metal until the window went up and down easily.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts