Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been collecting up the parts to finish my 468 build and need to decide if I'm going to run a windage tray and or crank scraper. I've heard positive and negative on the use of windage trays. The block has the longer ARP main studs for use with a tray now if I want to run one. Looking at probably using a 7 quart pan which I also need to purchase. What are your suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Windage trays and scrapers are more effective at higher rpm. If your engine is street driven and runs mostly under 4,500 rpm it's probably not worth the effort to fit the scraper/tray to the crank and added expense.

Using a deeper pan but not filling it to the top will help keep sloshing oil away from the crank. Since you have to buy a pan use a pan with integral windage tray and scraper. Use the correct pickup and run the pan with 6 quarts instead of 7.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
That won't help with windage. It's simply a pressurized pre-luber and temporary fail-safe.

Moroso does have pans with scraper and tray built in.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Look, the stock pan has 5 quarts. If you put on a deeper pan with the correct longer pickup and put the same five quarts in it, it's not going to cause a problem. The pickup is at the bottom either way with a deep or shallow pan.
What this does is get the top surface of the oil supply away from the spinning crank which robs power from windage and aerates the oil which starves the engine of proper lubrication.

Using 6 quarts in a 7 quart pan still gives you 1 extra quart. Little risk of starving for oil, unless you have a bigger problem.

The accumulator has a different purpose and IMO is a different discussion.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've made crank scrapers before and it takes a lot of time to fit them well, I've also run basic stock type windage trays. I do plan to use a 7 quart pan with only a 6 quart fill to keep the oil height down.

I've been hearing that a lot of serious engine builders have quit using windage trays, also wonder if the diamond stripper type tray is a better design. This engine will be shifted at 6800-7000 and will be street driven but thrashed on regularly. Soild roller cam with the pin oiler type lifters. High volume pump.

I look at the pans with the basic straight built in scrapers and windage trays but in my mind I think a custom tailored and fit scraper must work better? I've always contoured the scraper for a .060 fit to the rotating assembly.
Decisions-decisions.....

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
IMO unless you spend a day making pulls on an engine dyno you're not gonna notice the difference in HP. Maybe 5 hp here and there. Go with what works and what is comfortable to you.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have a brand new scraper and windage tray here. Meant to use them but clearances were an issue I think. Might have been the arp studs and splayed caps, I forget. But, I have a deep sump 7qt pan and that should keep some of the oil low. The scraper woulda been nice to have, just couldnt get it to work out as planned. JR

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Thats a good point. With longer stokes and aftermarket rods the windage trays bolted to the main studs there may not be enough clearance hence using the pans with the trays and scrapers built in. I wonder is there any benefit HP wise using a pan with the built in tray/ scraper vs using a tray like the diamond stipper in a 7 qt pan?

Does anybody know why the switch to those pans? is it just a matter of convenience?

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
I spoke with Earl Wade about windage trays and controlling oil splash..

Earl said e built a plexi glass pan and studied oil splash in the pan.. with various tray types.... now these were ultra high dollar trays for prostock and such....

he told me it was amazing to see how oil acted in the crank case at different RPM....
I listened with amazement....

the crux of the conversation boiled do to.. a windage tray is good, a well designed windage tray was worth up to 40hp on the engine he was using as a test mule.. he then added a vacuum pump.... and made more

the mule was not all that fancy.... it was a SBC.. but I dont remember much more than that.....

I remember thinking that any tray would be better than no tray at all....

Earl pretty much said the same thing..

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I first discovered that back in 1983!

From Best of Powertrain:
Paul Wright said:
....Later when I worked at a place called Synthetex, I worked on project that put a clear oil pan on an engine on a tilt fixture to study the oiling effects of 4x4 vehicle tilt in off road situations.
This gave me an opportunity to see what actually goes on in an oil pan. Windage is real and eye opening to watch.
Later at Roush I worked on dyno testing that made me a true believer in Oil system efficiency.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts