Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am ordering my front clip.with airbags:D

i have not made up my mind up on the color of the wilwood calipers.

i will have 5 star rims 18 inch in front 19 in the rear.large openings so the brakes will be seen.

black? is it very noticable ?

polished? my wheels will also be polished.will it stand out or just blend into the rim? also lots of cleaning

red? or is it too bright?

i have not made up my mind on the color of my car once its ready for paint but i know it wont be red.

i have nothing against red.i just dont want my nova to be red.

i will order my clip on monday.so if any of you have pics of your ride with wilwoods i would like to see them.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Personally I dont' understand why anyone would want their calipers to be real noticable. The wheel is far better looking then a caliper so why take the focus away from that with a bright colored caliper? I say go balck so they dont stand out like a sore thumb!!:yes:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Personally I dont' understand why anyone would want their calipers to be real noticable. The wheel is far better looking then a caliper so why take the focus away from that with a bright colored caliper? I say go balck so they dont stand out like a sore thumb!!:yes:
I think otherwise. Nice wheels will be noticed no matter how bright the caliper is. I think a contrasting colored caliper pulls the eye beyond just the wheel and into those internals you've worked so hard to paint and detail!

John

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I bought black. Hopefully my car will be black, see how the body work goes. But I like black behind the very nice billet specialties wheels. Gonna look good. JR

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
MIne are black too. I like the red on certain color cars but not with a red car.:no: You can kind of see them in this pic, I did not want them to stand out either.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
MIne are black too. I like the red on certain color cars but not with a red car.:no: You can kind of see them in this pic, I did not want them to stand out either.

Those wheels look great. What size is that on the rear. Do you have a narrowed rear end? Nice look!! JR

·
Registered
566 Posts
I love it when the calipers match the car color.

But if they don't match, then they should fade into the back ground.

Since you don't like red, you best go black.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Here's a couple with red. These aren't the rims I'm going to be running, but you get the idea. The thing I like about the red calipers is they look good with a lot of colors. My neighbor has a black Aston Martin which has red calipers, it looks sweet.

why are your rotors black?bm

·
Registered
914 Posts
I like black. All the metric tuners running around with their ultra low profile tires and huge rims have turned me off of coloured calipers.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thats cool!!I never knew that....I kinda like it!!bm
Yeah, their standard coating is an electro coating. It wears off the wear surface but stays on all the other areas of the disc. Heat doesnt change it. With the EPA here they went to the E-coat instead of the zinc coat. And you can still have the zinc discs at about a 50 dollar premium for a set of two.. JR

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Black was the choice for my GTO.

I think otherwise. Nice wheels will be noticed no matter how bright the caliper is. I think a contrasting colored caliper pulls the eye beyond just the wheel and into those internals you've worked so hard to paint and detail!
Personally, I don't want people looking past the wheel. The wheel is the focal point. Besides, the bright red calipers would look like two out of place floating dots when looking at the whole car. I'd only use red calipers if it was on a red car and even then it'd be iffy; black on everything else.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Black was the choice for my GTO.

Personally, I don't want people looking past the wheel. The wheel is the focal point. Besides, the bright red calipers would look like two out of place floating dots when looking at the whole car. I'd only use red calipers if it was on a red car and even then it'd be iffy; black on everything else.
OK, and this isn't necessarily directed at you, but why would someone get black calipers so that it doesn't distract from the wheel but run crossdrilled and slotted rotors?:turn::rolleyes::)

John

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
OK, and this isn't necessarily directed at you, but why would someone get black calipers so that it doesn't distract from the wheel but run crossdrilled and slotted rotors?:turn::rolleyes::)

John
Hey John, Ill answer that form my own opinion. I got the black cals and drilled rotors. For me the cals would be the only thing that is not either black or silver metal color on the entire car. And really, red might look pretty nice, Im just trying to picture the final look in my head and it seems they would be outta place, on my car. Like a big red sore thumb that I just bashed with the BFH LOL Oh, and for a tight wad like myself the red cals were a lil more money :) JR

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts

John
Maybe because cross drilled and slotted rotors cool better and have better braking overall?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't understand the cross-drilled rotors, either; they aren't anymore effective than slotted rotors and are prone to stress cracking. If anything, they're less effective due to the reduction in friction area and thermal mass.

As far as I know, it's no longer possible to get plain rotors from Wilwood. I certainly would have gone w/ plain ones if they'd been available on the GTO kits. Fortunately the few (6) slots that are present are rather unobtrusive compared to the numerous (dozens) slots on other brands.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts