Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, wanted to know experiences any of you have had with mini starters and remote solenoids. Do they run on, is it a big dea?. My stock starter is very close to the headers so Im thinking I may make the switch but the car is all wired with remoter solenoid in trunk and I dont want to redo any wiring for now.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am running the dreaded *ord soleniod on my 66 SS,
Works just fine. You will need to change the starter wires, depending if you have a points distributor or HEI. Do a search here on ford soleniods for a wiring diagram.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I used the remote solonoid on all my cars with mini starters but the last starter I bought 2 yrs ago said do not use remote solonoid with this starter. I think it's a CVR starter too. I'd just follow the instructions if they say remote, do remote.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I have a CVR starter on my car with the Ford solinoid. It can be done; you have to do something special to make it work. I was rewiring the the car at the time so I did that at the same time.

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
You can use a remote relay with any starter, you just have to wire it up correctly. A permanent magnet starter will generate enough voltage to keep itself energized if you have the 'S' terminal jumped to the main lead.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, mine is currently wired with the MAD starter kit (the starter cable is only live when cranking), the solenoid is in the trunk. Is this the same type you guys are taling about.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts