Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fella's I have a buddy that got a 71 nova as his first car.I have known him for probably close to 5 years and never have seen the car run.

About a year ago I found him a 396 and he bought it with the plans on installing it in his car.After finding out the cost and hassle of a big block swap we started looking for a small block.

What we found was .060 over 400 small block.The block has been filled with filler up to the water pump holes.It also has a stock 400 crank and a set of 5.7 powdered metal rods out of a newer vortec motor with hypertec pistons.We installed a mild comp cam and lifter set.(.450 lift,220 duration at .050)An old single plane intake and a new set of hedman 1 5/8 headers.I drilled the holes in the 882's for the steam holes and used the correct. 4.190 bore fel pro gaskets for the large bore 400.

I plan on swapping to a performer RPM intake when we find a decently priced use one.....

Do any of you guys have experince with filled motors?The guy that built the shortblock says it will be fine.(of course he does)And says as long as you have big radiator you will be fine.I have also read an oil cooler really helps the 400's.Also I have been thinking a better water pump would also help.

We are waiting for a flexplate before we start installing the motor.It should be here tuesday and we will begin.

Anyone have any tips or foresight into if this thing will stay below 220 degree's or if where gonna have alot of problems...

Thanks for any help...I will post up some pics.His car is in pretty good shape.It's dark blue with silver stripes and some chrome steel wheels.

·
Registered
932 Posts
so let me get this stright............the block is packed Full to the pump holes with filler?????? hopfully l'm reading wrong. but if not how in the hell could it flow water to cool if its filled full

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
That engine even if it runs cool enough will be an absolute dog.

Baby cam and single plane intake on top of some of the worst factory heads GM ever made. :no:

I have never done it myself but I have heard of people running filled blocks and not having over heating issues. The main area that gets hot is the upper half of the engine and with the block filled up to the water pump holes it will allow it to keep the upper half cool. BUT your also talking about a 400 block which is known for running on the hot side. I am not trying to be negative here but your whole combination sounds like one not so well thought out disaster.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I know the engine isn't an optimized combo.Like I said I am planning on installing a performer RPM when we have one.Right now where not gonna let car sit there any longer.Even if it doesn't run down the 1/4 real fast it will still run!This guy has barely been working and I acctually bought alot of parts for this car out of my own pocket.Just trying to help my buddy out.

Same thing with the heads.I have 3 sets of 882's in the garage and he had these also.Trust me I know there junk.But they will work.When the money allows it will be upgraded.Same thing for the cam.It was included in the trade.We didn't get to choose really.Plus the stupid 882's probably don't flow well enough to use any larger of a cam.

We didn't build the lower end.We traded a good 396 short block and set of old rusty closed chamber bbc heads for it.

We will see within the next couple weeks.Like I said I have known this guy for around 5 years and this car hasn't ran the whole time......

I know this isn't apples to apples.But car craft built a small block using a cam with .500 lift.Stock intake and crappy 882's.It made 355HP.I am thinking this motor will make around 330ish.

·
Registered
932 Posts
l had a 400sbc bored to a 406 l can't complain had 305vortec heads ported with no stem holes. edelbrock intake hei ignition shorty headers stock rochester 4bbl carb spun my 308 non posi rear end damn good with my micky slicks:D

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The main thing I worry about with this combo is this is a one shot deal.Being that already bored as much it can be.Before I came across this deal the most I would consider boring a 400 was .040.

Novapower you bring up a funny thing.That's what my buddy says about it."I just wanna do a burnout"Doesn't have to be the fastest thing in town.(Which would be hard.We live about a mile from scott lowery)Just wanna get the old girl running again.....

·
Registered
932 Posts
well best of luck, getter running but remember 400's are slobbs when mashing it shes gona nose dive from a start but once rollin ohman watch that needel go from 50 to 90 real quick
mine even tho it was tossed togather 40mph-110 solid push back in your seat while it rocketed away

·
Registered
932 Posts
well best of luck, getter running but remember 400's are slobbs when mashing it shes gona nose dive from a start but once rollin ohman watch that needel go from 50 to 90 real quick
mine even tho it was tossed togather 40mph-110 solid push back in your seat while it rocketed away
l forgot to mention also l was using a chevelle 4core factory rad my motor stayed at about 210 when haulinCash or 180 in traffic

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
My 414 isn't a slob. I don't think bowtie069's is a slob either. Sounds like you had some tuning issues. I have the cheapest direct fit aluminum radiator I could find on ebay and a taurus fan and can't get it to run hotter than 160 which is what my thermostat is. Going to have to get a 195 degree before I start driving it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
If the block is filled that much, i would run an oil cooler to help cool the lower end. Just get a big one and i dont think you will have any problems.

-Dan

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might regret saying this.But I don't think it will be a slob right off the line either.I have been looking on the local craigslist and found a couple performer RPM's on it already.I don't like the single plane either.But like I said it's what we got.I have even given them away because I won't use it.His looks similar to a wieand team G.It's a weiand and it's old.

Thanks for the advice on the radiator.Not to many people will chime in on this one.Not sure if from lack of knowledge or if there like me and just don't really know.It makes since to me.The upper half of the engine is what needs cooled.And the hardblock will help with bore distortion.That motor has a VERY thin space between the bores that's for sure.

Again not my first choice 4 a buildup.But it's kinda like wantin to have a blonde girlfreind and all you can find is a decent brunette.Why kick her outta bed?Better than nothin!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts