Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if the third gen cluster assembly will physically bolt into the dash of my 76?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the speedometer cluster will fit, the dash bezel is a little different but will also fit. Want one from a 76?
I've got what I believe to be the factory cluster out of my 76. Shift works makes a gauge package for the earlier cars. I like the factory look and would love to have engine temp and oil pressure in the factory dash instead of making a custom cluster plate for aftermarket gauges.

My goal is to have an overall factory look when I'm done. The LSx and the four inch cowl hood will be obvious, but hopefully not much else will be noticed by the casual observer. Using as many GM factory parts (reguardless of original application) makes it an easier task.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
I went to shift works website but could not find a gauge package for the 3rd gen. Do you have a link? It should work as the bezels and cluster will interchange.

In 77 the cluster and bezel changed. The cluster has round guages .

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is what I was referring to. http://www.shiftworks.com/gauges-nova.htm

I was under the assumption the 67-74 cars all had the same dash, which is why I said third generation. But you know what they say about assumptions :eek: and I'm guessing I jumped to conclusions.

I spent the last 10 years playing with second generation Camaros so this X-body stuff gets me spinning a bit.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
That is a nice conversion, too bad it won't fit. I have a Rally dash for my 77. It has everything but an oil pressure gauge. I decided not to use it even though like you I prefer something that looks relatively stock. Instead I went with gauges mounted in the console by using a 69 Camaro gauge pod made by Autometer and 4 of their gauges.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is a nice conversion, too bad it won't fit. I have a Rally dash for my 77. It has everything but an oil pressure gauge. I decided not to use it even though like you I prefer something that looks relatively stock. Instead I went with gauges mounted in the console by using a 69 Camaro gauge pod made by Autometer and 4 of their gauges.

I thought about going the same route. A couple of things were on my mind with it however. I haven't found a console yet (haven't really looked too hard either) and, I'm hoping to retain the column shift with the 460Le. If I swap I'll need to column too etc. Any ideas for the open area for the shifter?

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Cup holders :)
I see the consoles on eBay a lot. right now there is a 4 speed console, but it would not work with my manual trans. Here is a photo of Scott Windle's (Nova Resource) console with an aftermarket shifter in it. The position appears to be a few inches farther back from the stock location, mine is going to be a little farther forward to get the TKO shifter in the right place in the console. It looks like he made a cover plate for the shifter area, I will have to also.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man I like the way that looks. It looks like a simple task to make a cover for the shifter. I think I'll hit eBay for a look round. :)

What do you do for a tach??? I was thinking ans all weather unit just inside the cowl hood.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
That was exactly what I thought when I saw Scott's console. The TKO install made it challenging due to the floor modification, The extra height meant the mounting brackets had to be modified, but I am about 90% done now and it was worth the extra work.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
Here is where I left off today. The floor has been welded and the console positioned to get the shifter into the front portion of the shifter area. I need to make the slot wider. Since I know where the shifter will be I can also cut out for the power window switch.

I still need to remove the bucket seat mounts from the 76 and weld them into my 77.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work.

You are going to love that TKO. One of the smoothest shifting manuals I've ever driven.

What are you doing for power window regulators (I see a manual crank handle). I wanted to buy an aftermarket set up, but I couldn't find anything but the universal set up for the Nova. I haven't seen a set of factory regulators for sale either. I'm kind of scared of the factory stuff, the Camaro regulator/motor sucked, but it was a huge window too.

·
Super Moderator
12,020 Posts
I got lucky and found a set of used 4th gen regulators with the motors, all the wiring, the door boots, relay and switches for $150. It will not be installed until the car is running, but I will run the wires prior to installing the carpeting. I will have to remove the doors to make the holes for the wiring boots, but without having to run the switch harness through them I may use a smaller after market wire boot. If you are wanting to do an electric release for your hatch there are several GM cars that the assembly is a bolt on. Mine is from a 77 LeMans, but the 79 Olds 98 and the G body Regal I have all use the same release and it is really easy to install.
I have been collecting parts for this project for years. Even though it is built to be quick this hot rod is going to have all the power stuff my daily driver does, seats, windows, locks, cruise control, trunk release and AC. The weight will hurt my ET but it will see many more highway miles than track time.

·
Premium Member
1,188 Posts
Wow must of been a stroke of luck to find the power window stuff:D
I am running a console with gauges too and I have a covan's classic dash

And mine is a 76

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even though it is built to be quick this hot rod is going to have all the power stuff my daily driver does, seats, windows, locks, cruise control, trunk release and AC. The weight will hurt my ET but it will see many more highway miles than track time.
I like having all the creature comforts myself. The car has to be comfortable. I plan to cruise back to SoCal three or four times a year in it. Plus it should serve as a backup if my (on Momma's) DD takes a dive and I have to get into work. I want to keep it real simple. I retrofitted a 4rth generation Camaro interior into my 2nd gen and that was just too much change. I'm trying to avoid the snowball effect this time around.

So, the window stuff is hard to come by???

Any chance of getting a picture of the hatch release?

What are you doing for A/C?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow must of been a stroke of luck to find the power window stuff:D
I am running a console with gauges too and I have a covan's classic dash

And mine is a 76
Is there anything that isn't monitored with all those gauges :) ?

Did you cover the console with fabric? I kind of dig the look.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts