Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at my options at what to do for my Nova over the next year and I know that the Fast Burn 385 has 9.6:1 compression with a .021 compressed headgasket thickness. Would I gain anything if I were to put a .015 compressed thickness headgasket on the motor? I estimate that I would be right around 9.8:1 which wouldn't really make a difference, but I'm not 100% sure. Any help on this would be greatly appricated.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
If that is the only change you plan to make, I don't think it would be worth the effort--but if it's going to be apart anyway you could try it. I personally don't care for a gasket that thin (I had bad luck with some .015 copper)
If it's coming apart, have the heads milled to pick up some more comp.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only reason that I would have it apart is just to swap the head gasket. I didn't think it was worth the effort but that's why I wanted to ask. I thought maybe 1-2hp which isn't anything to huff about.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You will actually be closer to 10.2:1 with a .015 gasket. GM also has a .028 gasket for those engines that will get you in the 10:1 range. You currently have a .051 head gasket.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
GM also has a .028 gasket for those engines that will get you in the 10:1 range. You currently have a .051 head gasket.
If that's correct, it might be worth the effort to you--The GM 10105117 gasket is a great piece, and only $19.99 ea. And like mentioned, if you have 9.6 with a .051, it'll be over 10 with the .028 gasket.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts