Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Can anyone tell me if a master cyl for a 68 would fit a 74 nova. I have switched from drum to disc on the front of my 74. I have all the parts to finish as power brakes. But was wanting to go manual brakes.The folks at my local parts store and Jegs tell me that 68 is the last year that they show disc with drum rear without power. Soooo if a 68 MC would work I could use it. I am getting alot of info about proportioning valves or blocks with power or without manual or discs. Don't know whether to drink a beer:beer: or wind my watch. All help is very welcome.
thanks
Lance

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I don't see why not, as long as you use the disc/drum proportioning valve that came with your disc conversion kit it should be fine. (front drums have a check valve that maintains pressure on the front drums, you don't want that when you have discs up front)

Manual brakes attach to a different hole in the brake pedal (upper hole) than power brakes, and use a different actuating rod. But since your car came that way, just leave those things alone and hook the front lines from the proportioning valve to the master cylinder.

It should work just fine. (but I'm not a professional mechanic so if you go off a bridge this is my disclaimer!:D )

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I am surprised the 68 would have manual disc's. I thought they used a 4 piston caliper in 68. I have seen GM vehicles with manual disc/drum set ups, my 75 is that way, so is the 77 4 door I just bought and a 72 C10 truck I used to work on. For what it's worth for 75 the power brake master is 1 1/8" bore and the manual is 1".

Have them look up a master for a 74 6 cyl with front disc's and see what pops up on the screen.

·
Registered
256 Posts
brake cylinder

the only ones that can change with 74 are
buick 73 w/bendix booster
century 73&74 power booster
chevelle 73&74 w/bendix booster
chev pass 73&74 w/bendix booster
cultass 73power brake booster
cultass 74 power brake
monte carlo 73&74 power brake ,bendix